MK III breech face battering

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:32 am

The cause may lie in the stainless steel. The metal is an alloy and much softer than traditional carbon steel.

If you do not have the original parts, since Volquartsen installed them, you may have to go the send it in and pay for new originals route. Just request that they send back your aftermarket parts with the refurbished pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks for the warm welcome! This is a great site, I was cruising around last night and came to find that Hogue has MKIII grips! The information is already paying off and I'm glad to have joined.

I sent an email to a technician and he responded that this is normal wear for all MKIII Hunters. My friend has a newer MKIII hunter and he does not have this wear with a much higher round count.

So far I'm a bit disappointed with their response. After I speak with Ruger again today I'll be sure to update this post.

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 am

Update:

I contacted Ruger directly and they told me to send in the complete firearm for evaluation.

Their policies are that any firearm that is sent to them must be configured to factory. I have a Volquartsen accurizing kit and sites on there, but they assured me this would all be returned.

I have a bad feeling this is going to end up costing me money, but I don't want to keep a firearm that's defective either. It would be nice if I could only send in the barrel and receiver, but they insist on the entire firearm.

Everything will be packaged up tonight and sent to them later this evening.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 am

I have the dull areas on my breech face, as yours does, at about 2500 rounds. It only took about 200 rounds to create them, and they never seem to get any worse. If I see your photo right, your extractor recess has chipped out?

Good luck on a fast resolution. I've had one defect issue on a Ruger, and they treated me well. My Single-Six had a large barrel/cylinder gap. Got it back in eleven days, tight gap, and they had even slicked up the timing and action for me.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 am

Yes, it is chipped. Good to know Ruger stands behind their products.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 pm

I have some of the dull area on my MKIII too. Does not impact gun operation in my case. I have no idea the actual round count since I bought it used 3-4yrs ago. I have put over 15k rounds through it since I have owned it. Until it impacts gun function I'm not going to worry about it.

I sure hope you get all of your parts back. Ruger will charge you for the parts if there missing. Not sure how they will charge you since it has the parts but aftermarket.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911