More frequent FTFs.

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

More frequent FTFs.

Post by Yleefox » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:34 pm

I've shot at least 20,000 rounds of Federal Bulk 550 pack, ammo through my MK II Ruger and while I have always had the occasional FTF, lately it seems to be happening more and more often. Today, for instance, I had 7 rounds out of about 250 that didn't go bang. On the second go around, all but one fired. I examined a few of the brass cases and it seemed to me that the indentation from the firing pin wasn't as deep as I thought it should have been.

At first I thought that perhaps Federal's quality control must have gone down hill, but now I'm wondering if it's a mechanical issue with my Ruger.

Suggestions/Comments?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:03 am

You may need to disassemble your bolt and give it a good cleaning in the firing pin track. Another thing to check is the firing pin return spring. They can break without notice and interfere with the firing pin's operation.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks Bullseye,

I cleaned the pin, the track it rides in, and the spring itself, before reinstalling everything. The F-pin had a thick buildup on the sides of it and the track had a fair amount of carbon on the sides. The spring was fine.

I was a bit surprised to find so much crud in there, as it hasn't been that long since I disassembled the bolt to clean out around the extractor.

I'm fairly certain this is going to take care of the issue. I'll give it a shot next week and see how it goes.

Y

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 pm

When you mentioned 20,000 rounds that was the first thing that came to mind for me. Rimfire ammo tends to run dirty, especially in blowback operated weapons.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes it does make some dirt, which is why I use the lube very sparingly. I try to keep track of the round count, but I know I forget to make notations on a regular basis. The current number in my book is 20450, so I know I've put at least that many through the gun. I doubt that I will ever be able to really wear the Ruger out. It's my favorite of all my Ruger .22 pistols even though it's not the pretty girl it once was.

Again, thanks for the suggest Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: More frequent FTFs.

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:51 am

Yleefox wrote:
At first I thought that perhaps Federal's quality control must have gone down hill
I'm doubting Federal QC lately, myself. On my last two range trips, I had the 525 blue box Federals bought at Gander Mountain. Two different boxes, different lots. Both shot fine in anything but my Beretta Bobcats. Jams and failures to eject galore. That Federal ammo usually works pretty well.

I ran some CCI Mini-Mag and Velocitor as a test, and it did okay. So both boxes of Federal must have been undercharged with powder.

I've never had a problem with Wally World's 550 Federal in the brown box. I emailed Federal a long while back, and they answered that both packs are the same load. Yet I've noticed lately that the blue boxed has a thinner copper wash, less shine to the cases than brown boxed.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Update

Post by Yleefox » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Back to the range today. Fired 550 rds of Federal WW bulk, with just two, I repeat, just two ftf. Both of which fired on the second try.

Must of been the dirty FP. Thanks again Bullseye for the suggestion

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:54 am

That's why we have this forum - two heads can find a solution faster than just one.

Happy shooting!

R,
Bullseye

themig

Post by themig » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Another thing you might try replacing the fireing pin with a Titanium fireing pin from Midway. By doing this I eliminated all of my FTF's in my 22/45

The Mig

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 am

Back to the range again this week and fired several hundred more rounds, this time without a single FTF. I'm feeling good!

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Zero with federal value pack is pretty good. I'm not surprised when I get 1 or 2 per hundred.