holo sight, red dot, etc.?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

holo sight, red dot, etc.?

Post by radio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:14 pm

I've had an inexpensive Pentax Gameseeker holo-type dot sight on my Ruger MKIII for over 2 years. It was on a clearance sale and worked well until the glass broke a few days ago. It held zero fine and, although I only took aim at a few, never missed a squirrel or coon. Pentax customer service will receive, repair and send it back for $19.95. That's all I paid for it on clearance and I'm not gonna go that route for sure.

I'm looking for opinions for another inexpensive sight option for my pistol. Bear in mind that I do plink and punch paper on occasion with this gun, but mostly use it for small game hunting where it goes in and out of an oversized cordura holster several times per trip. I was lucky that the Pentax product held up as long as it did.

It seems that a traditional red dot would be less likely to break with holster use, but is it a good option for squirrel hunting? The holo-type sights allow for both eyes to be open which helps a great deal when the squirrel is moving. I have no experience with a traditional tube-type red dot and don't know for sure.

Standard open sights (and even the peep sights that I've read about) are tough for at least 2 reasons. First, my 42 year old eyes have never been good and are slowly getting even less reliable. Second, it ain't easy shining a light on a coon (when hunting at night) AND on your sights at the same time--an electronic sight is the clear winner here.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:34 pm

I don't know if this post will be of much help, but I will share what knowledge I have. I use a Ultradot 25, it is probably way more than you want to pay, but they are quality red dots. I don't hunt, but think a tube style red dot would work fine for me for hunting. The Ultradot's start at about $135.00, but it will probably be the last red dot you will need to buy, they are backed by a lifetime warranty. Like I said I prefer a tube style sight, but everyone is different. A sight you might want to look at is the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot, it is small and low profile, but still the tube type sight, and it is cheaper than a Ultradot.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 am

I have owned & own a total of three Millet Red Dots. They are owned by Bushnell. I have had two on my two Ruger Mark III that I do not own now and I currently have one on my S&W Model 41. I like the size and price, I had to send the one on my 41 back because it would not hold "0" they sent me a brand new replacement. The new one works great. I also have a Bushnell Elite 2-6x32 Scope for the 41. I use quick release scope rings and switch between the Red Dot and the Scope. It's fun to swap them out. Red Dot for off hand and Scope for bench rest.
Good Luck in you're quest and safe shooting.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:03 am

you might want to look at the Burris Fastfire or Muler Quickshot.... or any of the micro sized reflexes they might suit your needs better by being more "packable" due to their size
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm

I have a couple of Bushnell Trophy red dots. They've worked very well for me.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:27 pm

I don't think any quality red dot will be less than $100. I have the Mueller QS and it's in that $100 range.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 pm

blue68f100 wrote:I don't think any quality red dot will be less than $100. I have the Mueller QS and it's in that $100 range.

I agree. I just got lucky with the Pentax on clearance and it worked well for a couple of years. With Christmas coming up, I've got to buy for my kids and several other folks. I may have to wait till the first of the new year and get something good instead of trying to find something "cheaper" now.\

All good replies above and thanks for giving your thoughts.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

update:

I sent the broken Pentax back to their customer service department with a note asking for a price on repair or parts to do it myself. I called them a week later to see if they had received my package and had made a decision regarding my situation. The representative told me that I would receive a NEW model for free just as soon as they got some in to send out.

That's not a bad deal for a holosight that cost me very little to begin with. Its not the best product, but it is the best price--free. I hope to get it in soon.

My Ruger "flat top" isn't much good without some way of aiming. I could replace the regular open sights, but have other handguns to plink around with when the urge hits me.