Pictures of Clark Barrel on S&W Model 41

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Pictures of Clark Barrel on S&W Model 41

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 am

I am going to buy another barrel for my S&W model 41. I like the looks and the rails built into the Clark Custom Barrels and the Smith barrel with the millet cut for the rear sights are very reasonable priced. But I really like the Clark barrels looks. I was wondering which Clark to get. I have had a few problems with ejected cases sticking sometimes and I know Clark makes a 6.5" without the top strap, but I don't know if the looks are to my liking. But if they don't trap the ejected round I guess who cares about the looks. But I really like the way the 6.5" barrel with the top strap looks and it has more room for my scope or my Red Dot. Does anyone have pictures of the barrel without the top strap showing it on a 41 from the top view? I would really like to hear some comments on the two Clark barrels, ejection problems or anything else. But really want to see the pictures of the top of the weapon with out the top strap.
Thanks!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:53 am

I have a 41 barrel around the shop somewhere that has the top strap removed. Let me see if I can locate it and snap a picture for you. It is a Smith 5.5" bull barrel that a customer wanted replaced. Essentially the top strap was removed right at the breech face and a Weaver #62 mount is installed on the barrel.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks BullsEye it would be much appreciated. I don't think I will like the looks of it, but it would be very nice to do away with the stove pipes that I occasionally get with the gun. I replaced all the parts that might help the problem. Slide stop/ ejector assy., extractor and spring, recoil spring. I even opened up the ejection port a little on the 7 3/8" barrel. I know people will roast me for that because it is a 1960 barrel, but I bought the gun to shoot and enjoy and stove pipes make me irritated. A gun of this caliber should work perfect all the time.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:57 pm

In the past I've used a match .22 cal chamber reamer on M-41's to eliminate the ejection issues. Some barrels get peened on the end by the slide and that places more friction on the spent casing causing weak ejections and jams. A light chamber reaming usually solves the problem. One of my personal M-41's was a jam-o-matic until I gave the chamber a chase with the reamer many years ago. Back then I couldn't get through two five round magazines without a jam. I cannot remember when the last time was I had a ejection failure with it since.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Thank you BullsEye I will give that a try, if I can find one.
BullsEye, which one of these would be best?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2519 ... TCH-REAMER

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5047 ... ISH-REAMER

Thanks for you're help, in advance.

Or is this best to let a professional due. If so do you do it?
Please private mail me and let me know?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:18 am

The Bentz reamer is the one you want for your 22LR semi-auto chamber. You can do it. Remember you are not cutting a new chamber, only cleaning up the one you have in your M-41. Go slow and use plenty of lubricating oil on the reamer.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks Bullseye!