Wife wants gun

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Dhawk

Wife wants gun

Post by Dhawk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:55 am

My SO has been shooting my MK III Competition. Now is thinking she wants her own gun. Her hands are smaller than mine and I think my pistol is too big for her. Also she is left handed and wants pink grips!!!
Any suggestions and words of experienced wisdom?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 am

After 35+ years of marriage I learned to let them pick out what they want in respect to hand guns. Ask here if she would like one like your MKIII. If so just change the grips out. If she want's the thumb rest she may not find them in pink. The VQ trigger moves the position back just a little maybe 1/8" to shorten the reach. If your gun range has a rental, that a good place to let here try different guns. If not you will need to go to a LGS that has a large selection so she can pick them up and handle them. Once you find out what she wants you really need to have here shoot it. Just because it fits her hand does not make it shoot good.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:57 am

:welcome

Plus one on what blue68 said.

You haven't made her really mad lately, have you? If my occaisionally better half wanted a gun, I'd be a little worried....... :roll:

Rental is a really good idea, if you're able, or if you have shooting buddies who would loan her a few rounds with their guns. Has she tried any revolvers? Some ladies prefer the simpler operation, and the grips average a good bit smaller.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:59 pm

if she wants a 22lr pistol and likes the mkiii competition try the 22/45rp and put some pink 1911 grips on it. the 33/45 is just a bit slimmer and the 1911 grip works for about any size hand. BUT make sure SHE likes it first.....

.... or you could just start buying guns until you find one she likes, thats a win-win situation right there. :wink:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Dhawk

Post by Dhawk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:54 pm

I like your style!, :o I doubt my so would agree!

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 am

bgreenea3 wrote: .... or you could just start buying guns until you find one she likes, thats a win-win situation right there. :wink:
I've been trying that with his mother. So far I've been fortunate enough not to find the one she likes. she is very hard to please, but I'm determined to find the one she likes. :lol:

Like blue, I learned early in the 4+ decades I've been married to let her make all those big decisions.

The RP with pink grips is a good idea. If she doesn't like them, the pink grips would make a great conversation starter on the range.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 am

See how the 22/45 RP fits her. If the grip is too large then look for one of the older molded frame 22/45 Mark III pistols as these have a smaller girth on the frame. The downside is the frame is just black. A custom paint job could make the frame pink if you desire.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:04 am

Get the 22/45 RP with basic sights and a threaded barrel.
If nobody in your household likes it, there's a guy in NW Ohio that would probably take it off your hands.

Dhawk

Post by Dhawk » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:17 pm

She held a Browning buck mark tonight and it felt great to her(and me). She is going to take a class on how to shoot and how to choose a gun. I have high hopes it works for her! Class sounds great and taught by a woman.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Buckmarks do feel good in the hand. My only issue with them was the small cocking serrations on the slide but they've fixed that a few years back by adding some extra metal wings to the slide for ease of operation.

R,
Bullseye