Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Surprise Today at the Range......

Post by Gatmandu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Folks,

So I went to the range today (as I do every Sunday) with my favorite range gun. It is a S&W Model 617, 10 shot, large framed revolver. About 200 rounds into my session, I get this HUGE FLASH! Keep in mind I have put nearly 10,000 rounds through this gun in less than a year.

Immediately I opened the cylinder and found a couple things. Obviously, the round the was next in line in the cylinder fired at the same time as the one in the proper place.

Couple things, when I ejected all the spent and unspent shells I found this:

......and this:

What happened?

Don
I know nothing.......

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Ouch, I am glad that from your post you, nor anyone around you, were harmed.

I am no expert, but I will speculate. I'm assuming that the case in the first photo was the one aligned with the bore when the malfunction happened. That being the case, to me it appears the cartridge was not properly supported when it ignited, which caused the back of the case to rupture. The hot gases from the ruptured case likely cause the cartridge in the the second photo to explode. However, if this is the correct, I would not expect the second case to look like that, so perhaps I am off.

From the little experience I have with .22 wheel guns, the cylinders tend to get dirty quickly which seems to sometimes prevent proper insertion of cartridges if one does not push them in with enough force.

stewswanson

My guess

Post by stewswanson » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm

First cartridge splits it"s base as it fires and either hot gas or shrapnel ignites the second cylinder. The second cylinder's base is ussupported as it is not in battery and as the projectile goes forward the case back out of the cylinder. While backing out of the cylinder it encounters the frame and bends as it "rubs" against it. There may be some evidence of it rubbing against the frame, scratch in the bluing or brass smear.
What ammo was in use? and did you get hit or burned. Glad no one was hurt.
Stew

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi George,

Yes, it was a bit exciting. Everybody is OK, but I think something hit me in the lower lip (no big problem). Once you see this happen you will understand why the range requires all shooters to wear safety glasses!

I can understand the first photo and what happened, however the second case baffles me. Please keep in mind that I'm not sure if that one was the one that went off (at the wrong time, but assume it is).

Anyway, cleaned the gun up at the range a bit and continued shooting with out incident. Please keep in mind, I spend as much time cleaning all my guns as do shooting them.

Don
I know nothing.......

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Stew,

I was using Federal, Game Shok (820). This is my favorite round for all my .22 handguns. Over the past two years (nearly) I have probably shot close to 20,000 rounds without a problem through various guns.

.....and yes, when got home and started to look closer, I could see evidence that the case had been forced back against the frame.

Don
I know nothing.......

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:49 pm

I think Stew is on the right track. I own a 617 and it is hard to imagine the case not being fully supported. The cylinder won't move the bullet into firing position if the case is protruding out of the cylinder any. The tolerances are tight in these areas. You say you've shot the gun 10000 rounds this year, is that the total the gun has seen? or is there more? I would consider taking it to a gunsmith to have it checked out.
Hakaman

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Hakaman wrote:You say you've shot the gun 10000 rounds this year, is that the total the gun has seen? or is there more?
Hakaman
Hi Hakaman,

No, I bought this gun new in June of last year. And yes, I have to be getting close to 10,000 rounds through it.

I have no problems with the gun. Everything is still nice and tight. I think it was just one on of those goof ball things that happen if you shoot a lot.

Don

:D
Last edited by Gatmandu on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know nothing.......

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I think it was just one on of those goof ball things that happen if you shoot a lot.

Don
It's good to see nobody got hurt.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am

Record the ammo lot and send the pics, lot number and the description of the incident to Federal. Looks like an ammo (case construction) problem.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 am

I would also inspect all the cylinders for any signs of lead rings (leading) where the cartridges detonate. A little build-up here would cause cases to not fully seat in the chambers and blow out the back side of a thin walled casing.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 am

Glad no body was hurt. It's very odd that none of the cyl have lead with one being fired out of battery. Very strange this happen in a revolver...

If I recall the Game shock is the hyper velocity stuff which Ruger does not like the MK's to shoot. I've shot it in other guns without incident.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Very glad no one was hurt, and no harm to the gun? Wow. That would have maybe left me needing a change of undies.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Gatmandu
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Gatmandu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 pm

ruger22 wrote: That would have maybe left me needing a change of undies.
Hi ruger22,

Yes, a new item to add in the range bag :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don
I know nothing.......

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:55 am

I had a 45acp case let go shooting with dad last year it was a shocking experience. I just kind of stood there for a minute and did a quick,parts inventory (mine not thee gun :shock: ) ... I'm sure your response was similar.

Maybe the case was just bad to begin with and there was no gun problem. The second case most likely backed out of place and the pressure crushed it in trust weird way.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Your bullet didn't hurt my gun, so I was sure everything was ok