Rear sights

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Rear sights

Post by Hardball » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:30 am

I would like to hear opinions of the Volquartsen replacement rear sight for serious bullseye target use.

Does it require any frame machining like the BoMar does?

How does it compare in quality to the BoMar?

How well does it match the front sight height?

I just found my third MkII. A stainless Competition Target Model with 6 7/8" barrel. I'll get the trigger worked on by a pro. And I'll do the various tweaks for cycling.

Hardball

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:39 am

Hardball i have read else where that the VQ should just slide in should be no fitting.

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Rear sights

Post by Ripsaw » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Hardball wrote:I would like to hear opinions of the Volquartsen replacement rear sight for serious bullseye target use.

Does it require any frame machining like the BoMar does?

How does it compare in quality to the BoMar?

How well does it match the front sight height?

I just found my third MkII. A stainless Competition Target Model with 6 7/8" barrel. I'll get the trigger worked on by a pro. And I'll do the various tweaks for cycling.

Hardball
If anyone has the answers to Hardballs questions that would be great. I would think that the VQ sight would be better but is it $60 better and what is better about it??

Does the factory front sight work with it or does that need modification also??

Ripsaw

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:46 am

I got the Volquartsen rear sight that is very much like the BoMar.

It went on easy and required no machining like the BoMar. I think I will have to lower the front blade some. Beats raising it :)

Also had to shorten the Ruger weaver type rail at the rear by about 1/4". No affect on using the Ultradot when I want to.

I'll shoot it Saturday and report.

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

VQ Bomar Style rear sight

Post by FourCornerm'n » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi Hardball. Hope your beginning to get used to and enjoy your VQ/Bomar-like rear sight. Have been hopeful of gaining the advantages of this change myself.

The rumor that's been keeping me back so far, is that someone posted a note that the VQ/Bomar style did not fit properly in the dovetail of their Ruger Mark ???. This person found that the VQ sight dovetail was too low or shallow to fill the receiver dovetail. It didn't fit. It wiggled around until they added something or other to fill in the space between the bottom of the VQ/Bomar and the top of the inside of the dovetail.

How is the fit between your VQ/Bomar and your pistol's dovetail?

Does anyone else have any experience with this problem, or know about it?

I'm hopeful that the combination works without fixes or 'smithing cause I think the Bomar style does offer advantages.

Thanks

When I joined the old SWPL in the early 80s (to become an average competitor), everyone put about $600-$800 into stock Series 70 Colt 45 ACPs just to get started. This always included changing to the Bomar rear sight. The Colt's had fixed sights, so there wasn't a choice. But the Bomar really did make a difference because of its added sight radius AND the simplicity of the FLAT FACE presented to the shooter. It doesn't seem like much of a difference but, I think, for quick sight acquisition in competition, it offers a certain real advantage. The Bomar, itself, is a very well made product.

Hope someone can help me here.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 pm

My Volquartsen sight went on easy. It does need the two setscrews for sure. I centered the sight on the frame and lowered the front sight blade about a millimetre. The shots at 25yds were right on with the sights adjustment range right where I want it. I wish I had put the Volquartsen on my other MkII rather than the BoMar. With the BoMar requiring modifying the big takedown pin/slide stop.... argh! the reassembly is even tougher with the modified pin.

Reassembly otherwise is a piece of cake if you just look at where the hammer and it's strut are.

The 6 7/8 barrel ends up with a 9 1/2" sight radius, the BoMar sight would give a full 10" radius. This pistols use will be exclusively Bullseye.