My new LCR .22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

My new LCR .22

Post by Jack D » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Bought it today, brought it home and tested. It takes a little getting used to. Certainly different than what I'm used to. Especially the trigger. I had one FTF, but it fired after turning it in the chamber.....might have fired second time around without turning, but I had already ejected it. Ammo was Federal HP bulk. About 100 rounds.

Impressed with accuracy. Shoots dead center horizontally but low with top of the front sight even with the top of the rear. I may have to file it (front sight)down some. I'll wait awhile.

This target was fired from about 17-18' off hand, two hand hold. Target is 4"x4" post-It note. Tiny holes are a test of bird shot fired from about 8'. Total pattern was about 12" at that range. Bird shot is unknown brand (H headstamp). Crimped brass.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Remember your pistol is likely sighted at 15-20 yards, the bullet's paths are still rising up from the muzzle to line of sight at the range you're shooting. You may want to try some greater distances to see how those sights are before altering anything.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Bullseye wrote:Remember your pistol is likely sighted at 15-20 yards, the bullet's paths are still rising up from the muzzle to line of sight at the range you're shooting. You may want to try some greater distances to see how those sights are before altering anything.

R,
Bullseye
Could be. I tested at 30' also and it was still low by about 3". I'll wait awhile before I start filing. More testing is needed to be sure that's necessary. It may be me, not the gun.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Today, I used my "bipod" to shoot a cylinder full of Mini Mags from 30' to test the sights POA/POI relationship. This target shows the result.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Why don't you contact Ruger customer service and find out at what distance they calibrate the sights. I see a pretty good grouping but as you said low and left.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't know about the 22 LCR, but I queried members of the Ruger forum about the other LCRs. The consensus was that the POA and POI match at seven yards.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:39 pm

I'd call Ruger as Bullseye said. I also think I'd test some 40gr SV ammo at 30' with the bipod.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Bullseye wrote:Why don't you contact Ruger customer service and find out at what distance they calibrate the sights. I see a pretty good grouping but as you said low and left.

R,
Bullseye
Contacted Ruger via email with link to the target photo. I'm sure I won't hear anything until Monday or Tuesday.

An ideal fix would be to install a rear sight. That would require some milling, I'm sure, and probably a new front sight as well.

An easier fix would be to lower the front sight. This would fix the elevation, but not the windage.

Don't know what other options there would be......except to take it back. But would the replacement be any better?
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Ruger replied yesterday and I called this morning. Instantly had a prepaid shipping label (2nd day air) and put it on UPS about noon. I've heard they are very fast with repairs and return shipping. Can't wait to get it back, hopefully shooting to POA.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 pm

It is good to hear that they are on top of the problem. Ruger does not want any bad publicity on these new models, they are monitoring the comments very heavily, so they're willing to check it out and make it right, real quick.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Bullseye wrote:It is good to hear that they are on top of the problem. Ruger does not want any bad publicity on these new models, they are monitoring the comments very heavily, so they're willing to check it out and make it right, real quick.

R,
Bullseye
Well.....not real quick. It's been three weeks and no word yet. Waiting for a reply to my inquiry.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Your email must have gotten lost in the shuffle, I'd still give customer service a phone call.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Bullseye wrote:Your email must have gotten lost in the shuffle, I'd still give customer service a phone call.

R,
Bullseye
The email I mentioned is to Ruger CS, sent last Friday asking about the status of my revolver.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Got it back from Ruger CS last night (UPS was running late). It was disappointing to learn that they could not repeat any of the problems I told them about (inaccuracy of sights and jamming cylinder). It doesn't appear that they did anything to the gun. They did send a target fired from 7 yards and it also shows that it shoots low about 1" (assuming 1" squares on the target) and right the same.

Not sure why the difference in my target and theirs. More testing to come at 7 yards to see if I can replicate their target. Perhaps we used different sight pictures????

Regardless of the reasons, it appears that it is my problem now. I can grind off the top of the front sight, leave it as it is and rely on the CT laser grips and/or learn to adjust for vertical. It is not a target gun, after all. So maybe I can learn to live with its (or mine) idiosyncrasies. Practice, practice, practice.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Sorry it didn't pan out as well as you hoped, and really sorry it took almost a month. Ruger is normally much faster than that. Ruger just got my LCR-22 this morning. Whenever I get it back, I hope in way less than a month, and finally get to shoot one, I'll post how it does.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols