What to do??

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Sportdog7

What to do??

Post by Sportdog7 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Well picked up the 2245 today from the gun shop where it was purchased, he also does gunsmith work. I've dealt with this shop for years and never a issue, so I was surprised when he told me that yes the gun was fine and good to go...But try as he had many he could not get the mainspring housing assembely to close....He finally put the old factory parts back in and ? You guessed it it closed and the 2245 is good to go! I trust this guy like a brother, so I ask has anyone ever heard of or seen first hand a Sam's bushing create such problems? My next question is now what? I sure would like to use the Sam's bushing but I don't want to go through the same thing again. Any ideas? I had the bushing installed properly as every time I hit the mag release it came flying out! And as most here are aware my only issue was in getting the mainspring housing assembly to close the last 1/2" or so. What should I do? Learn to live with the gun as is, or try a different gunsmith?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:49 am

If the magazine was out of the gun then it sounds to me as if the hammer was not fully forward that would cause the mainspring not to close. Sometimes it can look uncocked but still be a little back, what I do is use a long tool to push it fully forward while the pistol is flipped upside down and the hammer is held rearward. Take care when inserting the mainspring housing so you don't cause the hammer to move rearward slightly as you insert the bolt stop and mainspring housing. When Sam's bushing is installed you forgo the removal and insertion of a magazine during the reassembly process. You can practice the installation a few times with the receiver off of the frame just to ensure that everything fits and the mainspring closes with the hammer fully forward. Then you know that the only thing causing issues is that hammer moving while you are inserting the bolt stop into the receiver.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Sounds like the time to learn how to detail strip the gun. Follow Bullseye's Guide step by step and you will not have any problems. Do it in front of the computer. The images on the side expand when you click on them so you can see the finer details. It's the hardest the first time and gets easier each time. Since you need to detail clean every 2k rounds you might as well learn.

www.guntalk-online.com/service.html
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Surprising. The MKIII and MKIII 22/45 mag disconnect makes the hammer move less freely. The 2 Sam's bushings I've put in, made the hammer swing forward like a MKII. Should be easier to do. I'd put bushing back in and give her another try. Bullseye's maintenance and assembly pages should walk you through it.

It's possible your guy missed the assembly when he put the bushing in. Most of the staff at a LGS are pretty good at a wide range of firearms, but they get buffaloed by some. I've shown a couple how to field strip and reassemble Rugers and P22's. It's a matter of practice and reps.