New MKIII 22/45 owner with sights question

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

PisnNapalm

New MKIII 22/45 owner with sights question

Post by PisnNapalm » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:01 pm

I posted the below message at MKIII.org but haven't had a reply yet.
How yinz doin?

I just purchased my very first pistol this past Monday. It's a Ruger MKIII 22/45 with the 5.5" bull barrel.

I took it to a shooting range on Wednesday and it worked great. I put about 220 rounds through it without a single hitch. My thumb was killing me however. :blink: I ordered a cure for that yesterday.

The first modification I want to make is the sights. These black stock sights have got to go. I'm no expert and even I can tell they suck. (Side note:: Went shooting recently with a friend and his pistol, a Walther P22, had the 3 white dots. That I liked.)

So... where was I? Oh yeah. What aftermarket sights would yinz recommend? I've looked at 2 kinds.

Williams Mark II Bull Barrel FireSight Set <=If my research is right these should also fit my MKIII.

Hi Viz

So I ask... Which have yinz tried out and liked or hated?

I appreciate your time and help. Thank you.

PN
Some folks on another forum recommended just painting the front sight with a bright color. I'll probably try that tonight, but I think I'd rather have something a bit better looking. I've even been considering a red dot setup. I've seen the Tasco and Barska red dots for about $30-$40. Are they worth it or is it a case of "you get what you pay for." cheap.

Thanks for your time.

PN

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:08 pm

You didn't say what kind of shooting you plan on doing with that new pistol. If you're planning on mostly plinking, or light target shooting, then a low cost red dot is a good purchase. Heavy target shooting or competition would better be served by a higher end dot sight like an Ultra Dot.

Changing the contrast of the front sight with a brighter color pigment can work if you're having trouble picking up the front sight on the target. Something like ladies fingernail polish or model paint works fine.

Ruger sells the Hunter style light tube fiberoptic sights for a reasonable price, if you're considering Hi-Viz sights. You may even be able to trade your stock sights to someone with a Hunter Model who's desiring to swap for the plain OEM sights.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:49 pm

Well... For now it's gonna be plinking down at the range when I can get the time. I would love to get back into competitive shooting.

Back in high school I joined the rifle team as a sophomore. That's where I met my wife actually. :D I shot a Winchester 52 for 3 years. We had a 50 foot indoor range in our school basement.

Anyway... I want to get the trigger done before attempting competition. Perhaps this summer I'll have my wife's uncle work on the trigger. He's one helluva a gunsmith.

The sights though, I have to change sooner. I'm gonna try painting it tonight. I might have time to go poke holes in paper tomorrow. 8)

gabby

Post by gabby » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:17 am

PisnNapalm,
See my post under Techinical Section.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342
Let me state that I don't have an awful lot of experiance with pistols and target shooting but I have been handling/hunting guns for 30 years.
My friends and I have been on a kick of going to the range 2-3 times a month now for about 6 months and I am starting to get into it (when time allows).
I just bought a Mark 3 Hunter and am not happy with the Hi Vis sights. I feel they might work for shooting cans but to me they don't for target shooting. I am looking for more tradtional sights with out a lot of $$$$.
I'm pleased, for the most part, with the Ruger but if I wanted to spend a lot of $$$ I might of leaned more to a S$W 41.
I did change my sear with a VQ sear ($20) and like the results and it does make me feel good that I did the work.
This is the first time I have ever done anything internally to a gun.
Let us know what you end up with.
Happiness=Satisfaction over Desire

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Update.

I did not paint the front sight last night. I wound up sitting down with a scotch and a good movie. :lol:

I was in Kmart today and happened through the sporting goods section looking at bats for my son. In the case behind the counter was a Tasco red dot sight for $30. So I figured what the hell. Hopefully I can test it out later today.

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Hooo Damn! :D

I mounted the Tasco this afternoon and got it sighted in. What a difference that made!

I went from putting all my rounds within a 3 inch group to within a silver dollar or so at about 25 feet.

For 30 bucks I like it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:00 pm

Have fun with that new sight system.

R,
Bullseye

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:51 pm

It's a thing of beauty. 8)

Question... Does it matter where in the rail it's mounted?

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:17 pm

"Does it matter where in the rail it's mounted?"

Speaking from a one hand off hand target point of view (Bullseye), the dot scope will move more relative to the wrist, the more forward it sits. Also there is a weight, balance and feel for it's placement.

Also if you do want to compete on bullseyes, stay with the black iron sights.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:29 pm

No, not really, where the pistol balances best for you is a good position. Some scopes don't have the flexibility to be positioned in more than one place due to ring placement and mount slot positioning. Enjoy your pistol!

R,
Bullseye

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:56 pm

I am definitely enjoying it! :D Until 2 weeks ago it had been 15 years since I shot and 20 years since I last shot competitively. Damn I missed this!

All I can think about is shooting. French Creek Outfitters has an indoor range. They charge $12/hour. Is that expensive? I imagine most of you already a members of a gun club.

There's a gun club my friend belongs to. Their registration fee is $30, the yearly dues are $100 and they only accept NRA members. How does that compare to clubs yinz belong to?

The money isn't the issue for me. It's the being forced to join the NRA that irks me. I dislike being blackmailed into things like that. Do other clubs force that requirement upon their members?

All I know is that at $12/hour I'm gonna get poor real quick. :wink:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Yes, that's about the going rate at most gun clubs. The NRA requirement is too. Usually a club will also insist on State Shooting Association membership along with joining the NRA as a condition for membership. If you plan on shooting more than 12 hours in a year then joining a club is a cost benefit.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:01 pm

PisnNapalm wrote: an indoor range. They charge $12/hour.
Is that expensive?
Their registration fee is $30, the yearly dues are $100 and
they only accept NRA members.
My GunClub is incredibly convenient
and very well equipped...
New Members pay $150-one-time-fee, to contribute to our property-investment.
then $75/year + NRA for unlimited shooting thru the year.
We have an extensive volunteer effort for Work-Parties and
range-supervision.

The NRA-membership is req'd for insurance-coverage ...
the under-writer considers it a reduced-risk.
We are not required to do-any-NRA-anything... just have the 'card',
some consider it a $110-annual-fee and ignore the extra junk-mail...

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:03 am

I presently belong to 2 clubs, have been a member of moire than that at one time as it was an advantage at the time. Presently belong to a private non profit club for shotgun and membership is $50.00 a year plus a $50.00 initiation fee when joining.this get s you a reduced rate on all the shotgun sports over a non-member.
The pistol range is a privately owned for profit venture by a retired Detroit homicide detective sergeant. They have membership also which, if you shoot a lot will save you some money. The range is only 3 years old and target carriers are programmable and the ventilation system is state of the art, nef\ver any smoke in the air no matter how many shooters are on the line. Membership is $130.00 per year and then you shooting fee is $6.00 for as long as you care to shoot with no restrictions, whereas a non member will pay
15.00/hour or $8.00/half hour. If you shoot as often as I do it is expedient to be a member.
Last edited by bearandoldman on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:48 am

Tulsa Gun Club, where I belong, charges a $30 initiation fee and an $80 annual fee ($60 for seniors over 60). There's a useage fee of $1 for the rifle/pistol range and you do not have to be a member of the NRA but it's encouraged. The only drawback is the hours; it's only open on Wed., Fri., Sat. and Sun. from 1:00PM 'till 6:00PM.