New LCR-22 for ruger 22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

New LCR-22 for ruger 22

Post by ruger22 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Finally arrived yesterday. Looks good. Like I had read about recent LCR-38 models, the cylinder finish has changed from a silver-gray to a charcoal color now. Not quite black. Otherwise I see no changes.

The lockpin bushing is less inset into the aluminum frame than my first one was. The trigger is a bit stiffer than the first, but feels smoother than I remember. Ran some empty cases, and the firing pin is leaving better impressions. I feel confident this LCR is right.

This one has very slight star marks in the finish from the factory test fire, not into the aluminum. It was test fired the same day it shipped. Can't get much newer than that!

Off to the range tomorrow.......... :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Range report?

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Waiting. ...for range report AND pictures.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Well, I've never been any good at third party sites doing photos, and they seem to disappear after awhile anyway. I'll try to do a good description.

Shot 350 rounds of Wally World Federal bulk. Only 2 FTF, which worked on second try. The slight star marks looked no different at the end than they did at the beginning. One other detail I remembered is that my first one had significant fore and aft movement of the cylinder on the crane. This one does not.

After shooting, I could see tiny chips of cylinder finish missing, just on the front edges of the chambers. That's to be expected.

I was shooting by indexing the cylinder, correcting aim, and finishing the pull to fire. This would be easier if the LCR-22 wasn't an eight shot, with such a short pawl stroke.

I tried different distances, and out of the box, this is a 6 yard gun, where the POA and POI coincide. Got 4-5 inch eight shot groups, with most going into 3 inches. At 12 yards, where the LCR-357 was best, this LCR-22 was 4 inches low. At 25 yards, it's about ten inches low, with eight inch groups.

I haven't cleaned it yet, it's pretty dirty. I see some outline of the cartridges on the recoil shield, but they look like they'll clean off. The cylinder has a half inch band of residue around it on the flutes, and the entire underside of the topstrap is dirty. The odd cylinder shape lets more powder crud get on those areas.

I brushed the bore every 100 rounds, didn't have any malfunction of any kind. You do really have to hold it straight up when ejecting to keep the empties from slipping by the ejector.

I'm happy with this one, just a little dissatisfied with the six yard sights. I may bring them up to match the 357, to 12 yards.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Good to hear you have one your happy with now. I would have expected better grouping than you got, were you using a rest? Sorry to hear the sights are not adjusted the way you like. Are you use a 6 o-clock hold or center cover?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Glad it is OK this time.

I received my soft case back today via UPS. Strange they didn't just send it back with the gun. Not like I needed it with the gun still in the hospital. The first time I sent it back, I did not send it in the case and they sent me a new one when they returned the gun. Now I have two and I won't be surprised if they send another case when they send the gun back. Must have an over supply of soft cases.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

greener

Post by greener » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Good report. Sounds like you and the revolver have some acclimatization.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Finally cleaned it today. Around the forcing cone, I tried everything to avoid removing the black finish. Gave up and used a brass toothbrush, finish vanishes in two strokes. Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black will touch it up a dark gray, but not match the black. I had three tiny chips around the muzzle, used the Aluminum Black on those.

The cylinder face survived a light brass brushing, but I doubt the face finish will be there after another cleaning. Ruger maybe should have not bothered with any coatings or finishes. This is not a gun that will stay "pretty".

Cleaned up easy, like the LCR-357. Ten patches and a few brush strokes does the barrel and cylinder, then a little brushing inside the frame with a plastic brush. The cartridge outlines did clean away completely.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:02 pm

A strange thing about the cylinder finish on mine (it may be the "Target Grey" finish). Trying to remove the lead at the back of the flutes, I finally gave up and got out my wire "toothbrush" (steel). It removed the lead and just a few strokes, but it also removed the finish. Then I just brushed the entire cylinder (outside surfaces) and it came out nice and shiny bare stainles steel....like my SP101. I was happy with that. I picked up a rag (with Hoppe's) to wipe it off and danged if the cylinder didn't immediately go back to it's original color. It looks like new now. I can't explain it. Pictures in my thread.

I'll use the wire brush on it (cylinder only) to clean the lead spray off from now on. If it ever stays bare SS, I'll be happy with it. At least it will be easy to clean.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am

All the problems with the LCR would make me buy a S&W if I were in the market.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Hakaman wrote:All the problems with the LCR would make me buy a S&W if I were in the market.
Mt LCR-357 was great from the start. If you compare trigger pulls, you wouldn't go S&W. I was tempted to go with the all stainless Chief Special, except on price and trigger pull. Heavy, too. And S&W doesn't make a Chief Special in .22. I like having a "matched" pair.

S&W's .22 snubbie has an aluminum frame and cylinder, all anodized, not as good as Ruger's finishes. The aluminum cylinder is no match for stainless, and the S&W uses a thin stainless liner for the aluminum barrel, not nearly as heavy as Ruger's design.

My first 22 was problematic, but the replacement has been good.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I think the LCR is great. I've never had a problem with it's function. It does shoot a bit low, but I've solved that by changing my sight picture and the laser grips help, too. Now that I'm not afraid to use a wire brush on that cylinder to get the lead off, I'm very happy with it. I don't know why it sprays lead back on the cylinder flutes, but it doesn't affect function or accuracy, as near as I can tell. I can't imagine that mine is the only one that does that. I'm waiting to hear from others that have lead spraying back onto the cylinder.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:08 pm

What's the cylinder to barrel gap on you guy's LCR's? Maybe that has something to do with the dirtiness........
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:23 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:What's the cylinder to barrel gap on you guy's LCR's? Maybe that has something to do with the dirtiness........
.013. A.014 is tight, and .013 is just snug.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Jack, .013 is a big gap. I sent back a Single-Six for a .011 gap. They sent it back redone to .005.

My LCR-357 has a .006 B/C gap, the 22 checks as .005. That's as good as you get on production guns.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP