Been practicing

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Been practicing

Post by Jack D » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Since I decided to carry a .22, I felt that speed and accuracy are very important. 3-4 or more rounds in the chest are going to hurt where one might not be enough. My goal is, empty the gun, on target from 20 feet as fast as I can pull the trigger.

This video is where I am now. I can consistantly do this. I need to work on accuracy to get the group down to ~4" and time down to 2 seconds (first shot to last).

My actual main carry piece is a LCR 22 and it is a bit slower due to the double action trigger pull, but, still, I can get off all 8 rounds in ~2 to 2.5 seconds on a 7" target at 20'. Just can't do it consistantly, yet. It's in the hospital again, so practice with that one will have to wait.

http://www.hmds.ws/Pics/SR22RapidFire.wmv
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Looks like they are all in a 6" circle. So you did minute of paper plate, minute of 8.5 x 11 sheet = minute of center of mass. Looks good enough. With practice you ought to do tighter.

Shooting in your basement with a bullet trap? I'd like to have one of those in my basement, if I had a basement.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:49 pm

greener wrote:Looks like they are all in a 6" circle. So you did minute of paper plate, minute of 8.5 x 11 sheet = minute of center of mass. Looks good enough. With practice you ought to do tighter.

Shooting in your basement with a bullet trap? I'd like to have one of those in my basement, if I had a basement.
I can do better, and have done better, but not consistantly. It's harder, for some reason, to do it in front of a camera. I enjoy shooting the .22's in my home range (out in the shop). I can get up to 50 feet, but shoot the LCR 22 and SR22 at 20-30 feet (usually 20').

I've been averaging about 500 rounds/month at that bullet trap and a couple of months ago, I cleaned it out and "harvested" 50# of lead. It's then that I decided to buy a bullet mold and have been casting .38 (.357) 158 gr. bullets for use in my SP101. It's also fun to shoot with light target loads (3 gr. Trailboss). With those light loads, I can also shoot my .357 rifle in the shop. Full magnum loads damage the trap and in the rifle, may even go through, but those light loads are good.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 pm

greener wrote: .......a bullet trap? I'd like to have one of those in my basement, if I had a basement.
There's your winter "shovel ready" project........ :lol:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 pm

ruger22 wrote:
greener wrote: .......a bullet trap? I'd like to have one of those in my basement, if I had a basement.
There's your winter "shovel ready" project........ :lol:
rofl

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:13 am

Most people do not like to carry a 22 LR. I disagree, I feel that no they do not have the stopping power of a center fired round but they are just affective as you have just shown.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:49 am

jstanfield103 wrote:Most people do not like to carry a 22 LR. I disagree, I feel that no they do not have the stopping power of a center fired round but they are just affective as you have just shown.
I'm one of those who prefer a caliber starting with 3 or 4 but I do have a great respect for the .22lr. Heck, I'd bet .22 shorts would smart.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:24 am

Most any caliber is capable of killing someone. The problem with small calibers is that they do not have the stopping power of stopping someone in there tracks if their charging you. A 22 is no match against a 9/40/45...... But any gun is better than nothing and is a good deterrent against someone with a knife.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm

To me, it's all about the numbers. And not the numbers that designate the caliber or the numbers that relate to ballistics.

In all my life (73 years), I've never had the need to draw or point a gun at anyone. No one I know has ever had the need to draw a gun on anyone (to my knowledge). There were a couple of times that I did not have a gun, but wished I did in case things went further than they did.

According to what I've read or heard (statistics), most situations that might require a gun were stopped when a gun was introduced, but never fired. And when one was fired, hit or miss, the attackers usually flee.

The numbers I'm referring to are the odds of me ever needing a gun for protection while I'm out and about. Most likely, if it ever happens, it will be in my home. In my home, I'm well armed and prepared. A Labusky (Labrador/Husky) will likely alarm me, and I have loaded guns handy in several places. Not all are .22's, but some are.

In the very rare event that I should ever need a gun while out and about, I'm betting that the mere sight of a gun will end the situation or, if it goes further, being shot at will suffice.....as statistics tend to show. The odds of me needing something bigger......well, it hasn't happened in 73 years.

It's very easy to slip a small .22 in my pocket when I feel the need. Much easier than trying to hide a bigger weapon and carrying the weight around. .22lr ammo is cheap and practice is necessary for proficiency. Lack of recoil makes for accurate follow-up shots. I believe the average person can fire a .22lr handgun 2-3 times for each shot of a centerfire handgun, and do it more accurately. Two to three holes is, at least, equal to one bigger hole and you have 2-3 times the chance of hitting a vital. By the time the bearer of a bigger gun has fired his second round, I will have fired my 4th, 5th or 6th, and probably connected with most. Will it be enough? I doubt I'll ever need to find out.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:38 pm

My oldest son, driving home late one night (recently) on a lonely country road, was harrassed by a car load of teenagers. They were racing up behind him, pulling alongside and generally making threatening gestures. He just set his LCR on the dash so they could see it and they took off, never to be seen again. They didn't bother to ask what caliber it was (it was a .38 spl.).
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser