Stock MkIII tune-up?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Stock MkIII tune-up?

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Am wondering what I can do with the stock MKIII ( without buying new parts ) to get the trigger to function better, plus anything else I can do to improve function.

The gun is 100% out of the box stock, except the front sight was replaced with the front sight from a Marlin model 60 rifle. ( They swap out, strangely enough. )

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 pm

You can polish the hammer and sear surfaces to make it smoother. Without a MKII bushing you will still have to deal with the mag disconnect unless you use a washer/spacer. You can activate the pre travel set screw in the trigger (inside frame) then you will need to take the nub off the trigger that lifts the mag.

The only part I bought for mine was the Clark MKII Bushing. I reworked all the parts. My Lyman digital pull gauge tells me my trigger is a very light 1 lb 9 oz. :D :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:09 pm

I still haven't taken the gun apart to try and slick it up a bit - but fooling around in the shop, I tried putting a CCI CB Short in the magazine, way back where the rim is supposed to be in the magazine - and I discovered that the gun would chamber and fire the CB Short just fine.

The CB Short didn't have enough horsepower to budge the bolt of course, but it fired just fine with hardly any noise.

Something good to know in an urban pest situation, as long as the pest wasn't too big, or too far away.

druryj

Post by druryj » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:40 am

You say a CB short will fire in the MK III fine; do you know if the same is true with a .22l?

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:08 am

It shouldn't be much different than lr. Might have bolt cycling issues. My guess. I don't recall buying .22l. If I used any it would have been in a bolt action rifle.