My 1980 Thompson Center Contender

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My 1980 Thompson Center Contender

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 am

First I want to say I have a very Loving wife. I have bought several guns lately due to a bunch of overtime at work. I use to have a Thompson Center Contender several years ago that my father gave me and did really like it. But being a newly wed to my high school sweet heart and a new baby that came C section with no insurance and could barley pay my bills. I had to sell that contender. I have always wanted another but have not had the opportunity until about a week ago. I told my wife that I wanted to look for some 22 LR ammo so she and I walked into my local LGS. I was nosing around and low and behold there she was, a Contender in 222 Remington. I have no use for the 222 but it was in pretty good shape. Pricey I thought at $525 but after a little puppy dog face my wife gave in and I bought it. I then ordered a Super 14 Bull 22 LR barrel and a new scope for that barrel. I wanted to be able to shoot off a Bi-Pod and or a Bench. I did not know how to mount a Sling Stud onto the new Super 14 fore arm but soon enough figured it out after ordering a Carbine front stock with the swivel stud already mounted. I think I will re-drill that carbine stock and close the un-needed hole with black JB-Weld since I have Pachmayr grips and composite For-end. I finally figured out to mount the stud that held the grip onto the frame of the Contender. I just had to buy the correct size Allen screw and cut it to length. I used the Pachmayr sling swivel in the forward screw hole for the fore-arm. Worked great.
I will get some better pictures when the sun comes out and also when I get the Carbine front stock on, if it is not to long for the Super 14 Barrel.
Anyway here are some pictures, by the way after 32 years of Marriage, It really is easier to afford a few play toy's.
Now I am on the lookout for a 45/70 Carbine Barrel and Stock Set. Just an after thought also, I have smaller hands since I am only 5'5" and really like the Pachm.ayr Grip, it fits my hand a lot better

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:06 am

Note that it is legal to put the carbine barrel on a TC pistol, but putting the carbine stock on will get you 20 years in a federal pen.

The carbine stock is only legal on Contenders that are sold as rifles and company records (serial number) reflect that.

This is a "gotcha" associated with the TC Contender that can get you in very hot water if you innocently convert a pistol into a rifle, or visa versa. Sadly, the only Contender frames that can have the carbine stock mounted are those that TC sold as rifles.

If you have a TC rifle and put a pistol barrel on it, once again you will have opened yourself to federal prosecution.

The Contenders are outstanding firearms, a lot of fun to use but I felt I should warn you away from doing anything that can put you and your family into a bad spot. The ATF has no understanding or sense of humor about this issue at all.

Give your .222 Remington barrel a try before you sell it. They are supposed to be exceptionally accurate. - A good coyote, turkey or pig gun.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:36 am

charlesb,
Thanks for the info, I have been trying to find out more about this but have had mixed reads on it. Kind of been confusing. I have wanted to try a G2 anyway so I might just purchase one of those in 45/70 or an Encore. I do tend to try the .222 but my home range is just set up between 25 to about 35 yards. I have enough land that I can go as far as I want but this range is in a sink and hills all around it. I have not tried to make a farther range as of yet. This gun will really only be a target gun, but the 222 would make a good Coyote round I bet. I have never had to shoot a Coyote as of yet but there is always the first time and then I would probably use one of my many lever action rifles in 30/30 on down.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Took her out for the first time today. Fired her from 25 yards using the Bi-Pod only. I had a few miss fires with the new barrel and figured that I would have to stone a little more off the Locking Lug, but after approx. 20 rounds she started functioning with no more problem. I probably still will take just a little more off the Locking Lug though.
I was very pleased after I got the cheap scope 0 in. The scope is just a cheap NC Star but it worked well. It was very relaxing and a joy to shoot. Here is my last target of the day 5 shots of cheap SV ammo (Magtech) 1070 fps. Finally getting the feel of the gun and not worrying about anymore misfires at this point.
The white part inside the black 6 ring is smaller than a dime. So I thought the new 22 LR Bull Match 14" did very well on it's first outing.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 am

Finally got the carbine forearm fitted to my TC Contender. I like the way it turned out. Don't pay attention to the cheap scope I have a Burris 3-12X32 handgun scope coming for it some time this week.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 am

The Contender makes a top-notch .22 pistol, one of the most accurate around.

I have owned several Contenders in the past, but am currently just wishing that I had one.

Nice looking gun!

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:19 am

it does look like a nice gun.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Finally got the Burris 3-12X32mm Can't wait for the weather to break so I can sight it in.