3 stage trigger on my Ruger 22/45.....

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

3 stage trigger on my Ruger 22/45.....

Post by cousin jack » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 pm

I have a 22/45 with a Volquartzen accuracy kit..... I did have a Volquartzen trigger in it, too, but it started not cocking, and when I tried to back the pre-travel screw out, the tool socket stripped.... (I think I used finger nail polish to cement the screw in). We tried drilling it from the rear, and it didn't break free....so we drilled it the rest of the way out. Not enough metal left now to thread the remaining hole, so I reinstalled the factory trigger. And that solved the "failure to cock" issue, but.....

I now have a three stage trigger: take up the first stage, then a tiny, rough, "get ready" stage, and then the gun goes off..... screws me up on sustained fire.... Question: is there anything that can be done about this damned middle, "better-get-ready" stage? I didn't notice it so much with the Volq trigger in..... Don't want to spend $50 on another trigger! Might just reinstall the Volq trigger without the pretravel screw.....
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm wondering if the plunger on the top of the factory trigger is catching in the plunger hole causing that "hitch" feeling.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Ahhhh...... maybe that's the issue..... polish the hole and plunger, maybe....
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 pm

I have several times taken a slightly larger twist drill and opened the plunger hole up a little bit just to reduce the friction. Just be sure not to make the hole deeper or you can lessen the effectiveness of the plunger return spring. The plunger hole is just a captive receptacle not a tight tolerance fit. Polishing the plunger and rounding any sharp edges can also help reduce this problem. A little fine grade abrasive paper wrapped around a drill bit shank can get deep into the plunger hole and polish the surface smooth for you by a simple twisting of the wrist.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 pm

With the factory trigger you can add (if missing)/adj the pre trigger. Normally the set screw is there but backed off. The bad is that you must remove the trigger to adj. And you will have to grind off the nub to seat the magazine.

With your VQ trigger, find someone with a welder and have it welded back up solid, then drill and tap.

It's best to use heat to remove Loctite. It has to get near 400F to break it down.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Any progress Jack?

R,
Bullseye