New Guy Hello to All

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Vectorxw8

New Guy Hello to All

Post by Vectorxw8 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello all new guy.. Ummm In looking around I kind of feel like a heathen in the temple of Ruger. I am the new owner of a Smith & Wesson Model: 41. It was made in 1967 and came with the 7 3/8 barrel with the muzzle brake. I have over the past several months found the screw in under barrel weights, the muzzle cap for when it’s used without the brake. A 5” light weight field barrel, cut down by Smith & Wesson from a 7 3/8 barrel. The last piece I got for it is the EWK Arms Bully Steel Challenge Barrel, Compensated. The reason I found myself here was the wonderful guide for basic maintenance for the model 41. Nowhere else have found this information and want to thank the people that put it together. Awesome guide that I have already used. Thanks Much.. Scott

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 am

Beautiful model 41! And welcome!
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:15 am

All the thanks should go to Bullseye . He is the owner, operator, moderator of this site. He put it together to help users do their own maintenance. As he was seeing the problems people was bringing him from lack of good guides.

Welcome to GTO.
Last edited by blue68f100 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 am

:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome

Yes, Bullseye is the all knowing resident genius for all things Ruger, especially the Mark pistols. He ain't half bad with other guns, either!.... :mrgreen:

The rest of us are just here to aggravate him no end........ :crazy eyes:

His guides were invaluable to me in de-lawyering a Mark III, which I don't even have any more. I just stick around for the great company.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Vectorxw8

Post by Vectorxw8 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 pm

blue68f100 wrote:All the thanks should got to Bullseye . He is the owner, operator, moderator of this site. He put it together to help users do their own maintenance. As he was seeing the problems people was bringing him from lack of good guides.

Welcome to GTO.
I have already thanked Bullseye Via eMail. The guide is outstanding I have read all I could find on the model 41 but the information I find is when it was made how many were made... Just historic info. It does me no good when I am tearing it down for a good soak and cleaning. Even Smith & Wesson has nothing to help an owner. They started making the 41 again but only through the performance center shop. So having him put it tougher with pictures makes for a great guide. The pictures that are with the guide were just to small for me so I downloaded the larger pictures and mated them with his instructions. I sent him a copy of what I did because after all it is His guide not Mine and he deserves lots of credit for doing it in the first place. I belong to many other web sites some even have forums for the Model 41 and don't have anything like this. So many more thanks to Bullseye and to all for the welcome. Scott

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Each one of those pictures on the web help pages are a click-able hyperlink, when you mouse over them and click the left button, the photo will open up into full size fore easy viewing on a new web browser tab.

Welcome, we have lots of good folks here. It's a small crowd but the company is very good.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:57 pm

A great moment of nostalgia, looking at the pics of that beautiful model 41.

I had one in the early 80's with the short bull barrel that was outfitted with Conetrol scope mounts and a 2x scope. (Leupold, I believe. ) I used it as a small game gun, and wound up trading to a friend for something that I can't remember now, probably electronics gear.

I particularly liked the grip on the model 41, it fit me perfectly. A very comfortable gun to shoot.

Vectorxw8

Post by Vectorxw8 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:47 am

Bullseye wrote:Each one of those pictures on the web help pages are a click-able hyperlink, when you mouse over them and click the left button, the photo will open up into full size fore easy viewing on a new web browser tab.

Welcome, we have lots of good folks here. It's a small crowd but the company is very good.

R,
Bullseye
Thank you Bullseye, I am the person that sent you the eMail using Ms Mord to mate the large pictures to your text. It makes for a great guide because my work bench is on the other side of the house from where my computer is. Thanks again Bullseye, Scott W. Arnold

Vectorxw8

Post by Vectorxw8 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:08 pm

charlesb wrote:A great moment of nostalgia, looking at the pics of that beautiful model 41.

I had one in the early 80's with the short bull barrel that was outfitted with Conetrol scope mounts and a 2x scope. (Leupold, I believe. ) I used it as a small game gun, and wound up trading to a friend for something that I can't remember now, probably electronics gear.

I particularly liked the grip on the model 41, it fit me perfectly. A very comfortable gun to shoot.
I too love the grip on the 41. I have big hands with a size 13 ring finger so is just perfect for me. Making the the angle the same as the 1911?? Classic 45 I think. The thumb rest with the index finger rest is just perfect for my hand. I was lucky to get the 2 unmolested original barrels from Smith & Wesson both with the lazy &. I would never have them drilled and tapped they are a piece of history to me so they are staying the way they were meant to be. That is why I got the EWK barrel I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. It did come with the mounting rail but for a guy that has only ever used standard sights and anything mounted to this rail is going to sit far to high for me. I even toyed with the idea to mount standard sights on it, but that would really defeat the purpose of a custom barrel. When I called three local gunsmiths here in Philadelphia, Pa. I heard "you got a what?) That Don't fill me with promise! When I figure it out most likely it will go back to EWK Arms to have the work done. Any ideas?

This was a quick and dirty computer edit I did on the barrels.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:00 am

Not sure you really want to add an iron sight to that barrel. Anything you add to support the rear sight base will also cause a need for an abnormally tall front sight post to match.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 am

Very nice pistol.

Vectorxw8

Post by Vectorxw8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Bullseye wrote:Not sure you really want to add an iron sight to that barrel. Anything you add to support the rear sight base will also cause a need for an abnormally tall front sight post to match.

R,
Bullseye
This is what the 41 looks like with the challenge barrel installed.

It just does not look right without the end piece.

I am not sure on this but aren't the milled lines there to direct gas and smoke away from the shooter?? The 7 3/8 and 5" barrel have that milled into them as well. I am still just trying to figure out what is best to install on it. Any Ideas? Scott

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:57 am

Now I see what you were referring to about adding the rear sight, you wanted to add on a breech top cover. The reason the breech cover section is removed on most competition barrels is it tends to catch spent cases and jam. There is just very little room for the cases to eject, this is one reason why M-41's tend to stovepipe a lot. Opening that area up by removing the top strap, the cases can fly free much faster and not get caught by the slide closing for the next round. Those grooves are there on the slide to reduce any residue build-up between the slide and the barrel during heavy use. You could have a section of metal shaped into a cover and screwed onto those scope mount holes, but again the trade-off would be a tall front sight post. The profile of that barrel is much thinner on top which means the sight post would have to reach up quite a way to allow for iron sight usage.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Looks to me as if it is set up for use with a scope or a holographic sight.

I'd check with the mfg to see if there's a picatinny rail for it.

Vectorxw8

Post by Vectorxw8 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:53 pm

charlesb wrote:Looks to me as if it is set up for use with a scope or a holographic sight.

I'd check with the mfg to see if there's a picatinny rail for it.
The barrel came with the optional picatinny rail as shown in the first picture. The people I have spoken to about it use red dot sights on it like the ultra dot or the fast fire 3 but, they are competition shooters and I just want to target shoot with it. I smacked my head for not taking any pictures of it with the breach open so here are a couple.
[/img]Image

I don't think a breach cover would have to be very thick, the only weight it would have to hold is the sight and its only going to weigh in grams. I think a piece of high carbon steel or some other ridged steel would work.

Thanks for the input on my project.. Scott