new to me mk1

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

rdug113

new to me mk1

Post by rdug113 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:33 pm

I recently put a 1979 mk1 bull barrel with scope on layaway at a local pawn shop. I will post pics when i pick it up next month. The only obvious problem is the front sight is missing and the screw is broken off in the hole. I have read so much info on this site i feel like i know it already.
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: new to me mk1

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:21 pm

You can replace it with any front sight made for a 5 1/2" bull barrel, it doesn't matter the generation of the pistol. The sight screw is a 6x40 tpi thread.

R,
Bullseye

rdug113

Post by rdug113 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:13 am

Thanx bullseye. I was going to ask because I wasn't sure which one to get. Can you recommend a good hi-viz sight? My eyes aren't so young anymore.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:44 am

I noticed you mentioned a scope on that pistol; you don't want to continue using that sighting device? It should work great for senior eyes. Or switch over to a red dot style scope.

If not you can get a Hi-Vis brand, or one of the sights off of ShopRuger.com.

R,
Bullseye

rdug113

Post by rdug113 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:55 am

I am going to try the scope but want the option of removing it. I am getting back into pistols after 30yrs in NY. I also have the problem of being right handed-left eye dominate. We'll see what works best.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:45 am

You are in a larger group that you think, over the years when I have instructed large groups of shooters, I have found through informal surveys and demonstrating techniques that verify eye dominance that 30% of those were actually cross-eye dominant. Some of them didn't even know that this was reason why they were ineffective out at the range. As you know it just takes a bit of adjustment in your stance to shoot effectively. A red dot or holographic style scope can also be an advantage over a traditional cross-hair optical device for those folks who find themselves in your situation.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:57 am

IIRC, Gil Hebard used to sell grip panels for the RH left eye cross dominant 1911 shooters.

Bullseye's spot on. I've been a Hunter Ed instructor for over 20 years, every class I go through a eye dominance test with them. Cross dominance is much higher in females than males.

Al
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

rdug113

Post by rdug113 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:25 pm

I've already picked up a see all sight to try and am looking for an inexpensive red dot open sight. It's been so long since I shot pistol I am going to try everything to see what works best for me. I plan to mostly target shoot till I'm accurate enough to squirrel hunt.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 pm

I purchased a See-All sight to do a review with and it performed well with a bit of adjustment to how the focal points align. Eye relief on this sight can have a huge impact on the size of the aiming marks, it was more suited for pistol than rifle as pistol has the longer eye distance based on stance. A more forward mounted sight and it could function very well on a rifle too.

R,
Bullseye