Looking into a MKIII

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Looking into a MKIII

Post by Glenn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm looking into getting back into target shooting after being out of it for about 10-12 years. I did a plate shoot match last week with a buddy of mine and I'm hooked again. (I used his 9mm Sig)

Back in the day, I used to shoot what I think was an MKII...I was younger and it was my father's. I figure an MKIII would be a nice pistol to use to get back into things due to it's cost and the reasonable cost of .22 ammo.

I went to the gun store yesterday and it was pretty busy due to a big sale (Hoffman's in Newington, CT). They had quite a few MKIII's. Here's what I looked at:

MKIII 512 5.5" bull- $309

P512MKIII 5.5" bull- $249

KP512MKIII 5.5" stainless- $329

Right now, I'm leaning towards the stainless KP. It was a sharp looking pistol.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 pm

Welcome, those are pretty good prices you got there. IMO, I'd go with the Stainless, they just wear so well.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Hoffman's was having a big sale this past week...10% off everything. Problem was, the store was mobbed...and that was on a Tuesday! It must be crazy this weekend. I'd certainly like to save a few bucks, but I'd rather pay a few dollars more and make sure I get the correct MKIII. I want to have time to handle a few and make sure I find the one that fits right.

This forum is a great resource. I've been reading old posts and the writeups Bullseye has posted; there's a lot of good info.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Be sure to handle the Rugers before buying one. The 22/45 versions are a little skinnier around the grips than the metal framed Mark III's, you'll want to be sure to find the right fit for you. Other than that the models are basically the same.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:18 am

Bullseye (as always) is right. Check out the feel of the metal frame and 22/45. When I bought my first Ruger, I intended to buy a 22/45 model. I didn't like the grips and ended up buying a metal-frame model. I've since bought a 22/45 and it turned out that the skinny grips weren't a big deal. If you don't like the grips on a MKIII512 or KMKIII512 the change is very easy. Not so with the PMKIII512.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:30 am

Great info guys! Those are the reasons I need to head up there and spend some time checking out the different models to see which ones feels best.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 am

I used to not like the fit and feel of the slant grip HS and Rugers. But after getting to realize that fit and feel was not one of the fundamentals, it doesn't matter any more. Some of my best targets lately are with my MkII's, right along with the Hammerli, Marvel, 41 and HS.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:45 am

I was picking up a few things at the local Wal-Mart yesterday and decided to check .22 ammo prices. They had the Federal 550 count bulk packs...but they were hollow points. Do those cause feed issues with the MKIII's?

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:16 am

Glenn wrote: .22 ammo prices. Federal 550 count bulk packs...but they were hollow points. Do those cause feed issues with the MKIII's?
I would not expect any feed-issues from the ammo,
usually from the 'Mag' (lips, springs, follower, lube...)

compare to the Fed#510-Champions. they are Pb-LRN and
often price-compare to the bulk-packs...
plus you get a bunch of those little plastic bullet-trays...
anybody have an idea of what to make with those things ?
I'd thought about a trellis on my back-porch
(I think I could save enough fairly soon).

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:02 pm

I haven't had any feed issues with the Federal 36gr hp's. I believe I had a few, not many, feed problems with Remington Golden Bullets. I've had enough problems with RGB's that I don't shoot them. My very unscientific comparison of RGB's and Federals leads me to believe that the RGB' s are a smidge shorter than the Federals and sometimes catch at the bottom of the feed ramp.

Most of the ammo I shoot is the CCI 40gr lrn standard velocity, which I believe is the same stuff as the Federal 510. I have very few problems and pretty consistent shot patterns.

Trellis? Sounds better than a stress-relief floor mat.

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:01 pm

That's really good to know guys, thanks. Looks like I can get ammo at the local Wal-Mart after all.

I may head to the gun store this weekend to make the purchase. I'll have to see how much time I have.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:40 am

I'm amazed at how well Fed bulks shoot. CCI, Feds, Fed Champions Wins, . They're all good. I avoid Remington anything. Too dirt and inconsistent.

SD

Glenn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Glenn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

I've read a lot of post regarding the issues the Remmingons cause. I'll certainly avoid those.

Average Joe

Post by Average Joe » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 pm

I just switched to Federals from the Remington Golden bullets. My MKIII likes the Golden bullets better, I get a lot of feed issues with the Federals, and almost none with the Golden bullets, go figure. I like the Feds better, a lot cleaner, but unfortunately, the gun does not.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Average Joe wrote:I just switched to Federals from the Remington Golden bullets. My MKIII likes the Golden bullets better, I get a lot of feed issues with the Federals, and almost none with the Golden bullets, go figure. I like the Feds better, a lot cleaner, but unfortunately, the gun does not.
Must be the random genie included free of charge in each .22. RGB's hit the bottom of the feed ramp, don't fire and crud up my MKIII often enough that I don't shoot them. No problems with Federal hp's.