Trigger slap~

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

pipestone

Trigger slap~

Post by pipestone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:08 pm

I guess thats what you call it. I have a MK11 5.5 bull. The last round out really numbs my trigger finger. I have a tuned trigger by me, (because of all the great folks here) with pre & post travel adjustments. Seems like I had this figured out once but have soon forgotten.

Between the 2- MK11...3-Glocks...My old preban Colt ar-15...The old Winchester pump riot gun; just recently sold the 3- Kel-Tec's just so I could thy and keep everything cleaned, running and half way straight in my mind. I've played with all of them some, and if they come out of tune I just can't remember what I did to them. Then theres disassembly...........

I have been blessed with the privilege of owning these guns and others, there is no boasting above.

Too much info out there, and then add having a life....Sometimes I get a little confused ??? Thanks, pipestone :)usa
Jesus Is Lord

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:21 am

I will answer this one later - as I do not have the time right now.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi Pipestone,

First let me apologize that it has taken me so long to respond to your question. I have been very, very busy lately.

In order for your trigger to feel a slap on recoil, the disconnector lever has to transfer energy to the trigger. This energy can come from one of two places.

One place is possibly from the disconnector getting hung up on the sear. The hang-up would allow the sear to push the disconnector lever rearwards as the sear face resets on the hammer hook. The problem with this is the movement is not very much, and not likely to contain enough energy to transfer a shocking sensation to your trigger finger. Even though this is not a likely source of the problem, you can isolate the sear out of the equation by substitution of an original (unmodified) OEM sear in your pistol and test firing.

Next, the disconnector is absorbing recoil impact from the bolt. If the disconnector is catching on the bolt then the recoil energy could be transferred directly to the trigger. As the bolt travels very quickly, the energy would be significant and definitely strong enough to cause your finger to sting. This energy would be amplified even more on the last shot, when the bolt is locked open.

Inspect the upper edge of the disconnector, where it contacts the bolt. Is it smooth? Or is it dented? Here's a picture like what I'm talking about.

It may not be as pronounced as this one but the disconnector should be smooth. Like this one.

These are just a few possiblities for the problem. You mentioned a trigger job but didn't mention what was done to perform it. Also I have to go on theory without being able to inspect the firearm.

I hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

pipestone

Post by pipestone » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:10 pm

That was an awesome reply!!!!

Bullseye, I do know about the TIME thing, no apologies necessary

Sometimes I'm amazed at people like yourself that put so much of your valuable time into teaching .... Love for your Neighbor, Thanks again...

By the way The CCI-SV are great, I'll never go back to the value packs, the accuracy is different as night and day.

pipestone
Jesus Is Lord

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm happy to lend a hand, everyone has to start out somewhere. I was fortunate that when I started competitive shooting, I had plenty of folks willing to help me learn the ropes - it's my turn to do the same for those who follow behind me.

Good to know that those CCI-SV's are working out for you. I like shooting them in my Model 41's. Shooting some of the cheaper bulk bullets work just fine for practice, when I just want to get some rounds downrange.

R,
Bullseye