MKIII 22/45 Trigger Job

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cool_husker

MKIII 22/45 Trigger Job

Post by cool_husker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm

So I got about 2,000 rounds through my new MKIII and took it into a gunsmith and asked about a trigger job. He told me $55 and that seemed cheaper than me trying to do it myself. I asked him what he would be doing to it. He told me it would take to long to explain. I asked him about a pre-travel and over-travel screws in the trigger and he told me that when he does that people get into trouble b/c that don't know what there doing. So I get the gun back and he says that he will never work on a MKIII 22/45 again b/c the composite teaks to much putting it back together and takes all the fine tuning out of it. He got the trigger pull to 3.8#. I think the guy was a jerk and I should have just tried the trigger job myself. So my question is should I now go back and try adding a volquartsen trigger and sear myself or will it now need a hammer as well? I have never taken this gun completely apart. By the way I live in interior alaska and he is the only gunsmith around so my options were limited.
Thanks,
Tim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Well you definitely got someone who was not experienced with a Ruger Mark II/III. Unfortunately for you, he was the only game in town, as far as gunsmithing work was concerned. Because as soon as he said negative things about pretravel and overtravel screws, I'd have packed up my pistol and been on my way. BTW all factory triggers today have an overtravel screw built into it from the manufacturer. Too hard to put back to reassemble - give me a break!

There's no telling what this guy did to your pistol, I'd plan on replacing both the hammer and sear. You can buy the VQ kit and get everything in one package. Installing these parts in nothing more complicated than performing a detailed stripping of your pistol. You should enjoy a trigger pull very near 2 pounds of pull. Also with the pre- and overtravel screws you will find that your pistol's trigger will have much less movement to make it function properly. Great when one considers the less your finger moves the less chance of it disturbing the sight alignment.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:10 pm

You can get the VQ accurizing kit (trigger/sear/hammer) for about $100 at Rimfire Sport & Custom http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.m ... y_Code=VC2

If you follow the detail strip procedures on this site and have the same mechanical ability as I do, the first time should be under an hour. If you have any mechanical ability, it should take less than 30 minutes.

Just noticed that RS&C is showing "out of stock, back orders, ok" on the link.

madcratebuilder

Post by madcratebuilder » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:59 am

greener wrote:You can get the VQ accurizing kit (trigger/sear/hammer) for about $100 at Rimfire Sport & Custom http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.m ... y_Code=VC2

If you follow the detail strip procedures on this site and have the same mechanical ability as I do, the first time should be under an hour. If you have any mechanical ability, it should take less than 30 minutes.

Just noticed that RS&C is showing "out of stock, back orders, ok" on the link.
What greener said!!

I have used the MK II VQ kits on the MK III's and eliminate the mag disconnect. I have triggers in the 1lb 8 oz area, that's about as low as I care to go.
I know, ugly scope, It's what I had on hand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:17 pm

The white grips contrast nicely with the black grip frame. The grips plus the stainless receiver make for one sweet looking pistol.

R,
Bullseye

cool_husker

Post by cool_husker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:41 am

So the MKII kit works in the MKIII 22/45? B/C the MKII kit is cheaper.