Federal AutoMatch Bulk?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Federal AutoMatch Bulk?

Post by greener » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:13 pm

I bought a 325 round box of Federal Automatch at WalMart a while back. Shoots pretty consistently. However, I've had nearly 10% (about 1 round per mag) fire like there was no powder. Sort of a light pop and pfffft instead of bang. Not enough energy to recycle the bolt or slide depending on the pistol. It's not as much fun shooting when you have to clear the weapon and look down the barrel to see if the bullet made it all the way out.

Anyone else seen this with the Federals?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Federal AutoMatch Bulk?

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:59 am

greener wrote:I bought a 325 round box of Federal Automatch at WalMart a while back. Shoots pretty consistently. However, I've had nearly 10% (about 1 round per mag) fire like there was no powder. Sort of a light pop and pfffft instead of bang. Not enough energy to recycle the bolt or slide depending on the pistol. It's not as much fun shooting when you have to clear the weapon and look down the barrel to see if the bullet made it all the way out.

Rob, you know you are getting older and maybe it is your hearing or possibly just a senior moment, I have them now and then myself.
Hope it is warmer down the, Michigan still has the Feb 6th snow laying around yet.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:40 pm

greener wrote:Anyone else seen this with the Federals?
you might consider eMailing ATK with the LOT# and when/where purchased...

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:43 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:I bought a 325 round box of Federal Automatch at WalMart a while back. Shoots pretty consistently. However, I've had nearly 10% (about 1 round per mag) fire like there was no powder. Sort of a light pop and pfffft instead of bang. Not enough energy to recycle the bolt or slide depending on the pistol. It's not as much fun shooting when you have to clear the weapon and look down the barrel to see if the bullet made it all the way out.

Rob, you know you are getting older and maybe it is your hearing or possibly just a senior moment, I have them now and then myself.
Hope it is warmer down the, Michigan still has the Feb 6th snow laying around yet.
Among the things I did in my mispent youth was to hang around the Reserves long enough to become a (half)Colonel of Artillery. What hearing?

If I had a senior moment, I probably wouldn't remember it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:15 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:

Among the things I did in my mispent youth was to hang around the Reserves long enough to become a (half)Colonel of Artillery. What hearing?

If I had a senior moment, I probably wouldn't remember it.
What senior moment. Back in the old day real men did not wear hearing protection, they just lost their hearing so they no longer need any protection.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:21 pm

greener,
I discovered Auto Match a couple of years ago and thought it to be the best ammo in my 1022 builds regardless of cost...which btw was a bargain. :)
Unfortunately perhaps it's true that all good things must come to an end.
Sometime in the past several months, with the new box entry, the stuff just doesn't seem the same.
It's no longer the fun 10.00 ammo that contributed to happy zone groups!
Now it's inconsistent and often fails to fire. :( To add insult to injury it's now priced in the 14.50 neighborhood. Still not a bad neighborhood provided it performs as it once did....which it doesn't. :cry:
It was fun while it lasted!

SD

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:53 pm

A recent conversation with Federal (two weeks ago) revealed that some of their Pistol Automatch AM22 bulk packed 325 round ammo was inconsistent. They recommended not shooting it and were sending out some coupons for new replacement ammo. You should call them with the lot numbers and see if your ammo is in that batch.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:09 pm

I decided that since I was having problems with it, I'd see to its disposal. Guess I'll try another box, but I wasn't too pleased.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:24 pm

This was a recent production issue. Older lots of this ammo have proven to be very consistent. I have used this ammo for practice and found it to shoot very well for bulk ammo. I don't know how long ago they discovered the problem but Federal could answer that question. I'm sure that they've isolated the source but how much was picked up off the shelves prior to the discovery. Give them a call, I'm sure they'll make it right.

R,
Bullseye

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Federal is excellent in terms of making it right! :wink:
Not long ago I had a couple of boxes of the bulk rimfire which I really like. These particular boxes had been effected by something external most likely as most of the rounds failed to fire in multiple guns.
I placed a call to FED and sent an e-mail. In the time it took to write the initial email they had returned my call and instructed me to properly dispose of the rounds. They then provied replacement rounds which arrived on my porch within two days! :)
Hopefully the future consistency of their products will match there outstanding customer service.

SD

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:31 pm

About the same results. Seems they had a crimping problem with some lots. Like a dummy, I didn't keep the lot number. Told them that since I didn't provide much help, they didn't have to do anything. They insisted on sending a box anywho. Nice folks.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks to the OP and others for bringing up this issue. I too have been having this problem with a box of Federal from Walmart. I bought 1000 rounds for practice...I'll contact them and see what they do for me...

Puts my mind to rest that its not an issue with my relatively new pistol!

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Can you try them in another gun? They'll undoubtedly ask you that.

SD

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:09 pm

They didn't. But for what it's worth, I had the same problems in a MKII, MKIII and Buck Mark.

melchloboo
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by melchloboo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58 pm

Federal is making it right for me by shipping me replacements (and then some). I give them an A for effort! I'll report back on the results of the new rounds. I contacted them via email, if others are considering that option.