ammo checking fo accuracy

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

ammo checking fo accuracy

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 11, 2008 8:23 am

Morning Y'all, when you are fixin to go shooting. YA get your most accurate ammo, your most accurate gun and check to get the most perfect weather and then what do you do. Give all that stuff to the major cause pf poor groups and missed shots, the SHOOTER. After many years of scientific research this has been traced back to be the greatest factor affecting the accuracy of any firearm.

Tex, y'all have a good day now ya hear? Or as they would say in the UP 'you have a good day now eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 11, 2008 10:12 am

I'm conducting my on in-depth, long-term investigation. My study is one of multivariant analysis, incorporating the numerous factors that could affect accuracy and reproducibility. I've checked the condition of my test firearms and the manufacturer. I'm assured that firearm accuracy is only a very small variable. Ammunition manufacturer's assure me that their ammunition is extremely accurate, so I only have to find the correct combination of ammo for the right date and time as I've seen variability that can only be related to time of day and weather.

My preliminary conclusions, awaiting significant statistical treatment is that the firearm is not a major cause and ammo only contributes a minor amount. The only remaining variable, I believe, is Target Jump, or the sometimes random motion made by the target just before the round strikes. It's the only significant variable I can think of. All others are pretty constant.

wlambert
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by wlambert » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 am

bearandoldman, you are absolutely right. But think of it as a journey, not a destination. I'm trying to shoot 100 10X with my Marvel. 100 8X was my best for a long time. Then in February I shot 100 9X. For a brief moment I almost felt I could see the destination, but then it was gone.

So I guess the idea is to enjoy the journey. There is nothing like the smell of fresh gun smoke in the early morning air, or the perfect target that almost was.

Scratch bear behind the ear for me.

Burn more powder........

wlambert
NRA Benefactor
Lehigh Valley Police Revolver League
Guthsville Pistol League

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 11, 2008 11:21 am

wlambert wrote:bearandoldman, you are absolutely right. But think of it as a journey, not a destination. I'm trying to shoot 100 10X with my Marvel. 100 8X was my best for a long time. Then in February I shot 100 9X. For a brief moment I almost felt I could see the destination, but then it was gone.

So I guess the idea is to enjoy the journey. There is nothing like the smell of fresh gun smoke in the early morning air, or the perfect target that almost was.

Scratch bear behind the ear for me.

Burn more powder........

wlambert
I hope you don't get the 10X for a while because if you do you no longer have a goal to sight in on. Sometimes it is not the destination but the trip getting there that is most enjoyable. And if it quits being fun, don't do it. Tried registered sporting clays at one time and at the time I was an above average shot, but shooting with some of those young, semi rich ego tripping jackasses made the game less enjoyable so I gave it up. Now when I shoot sporting clays, the trapper will ask if I want a score sheet. My answer is not really, as I am not out to impress anyone other than myself and I am easily pleased. Just like the things that I build in my little woodworking sho, I do not reqally enjoy item I build as i Dop building it. Loooking at it later I can remember the cahlklenge and the satisfaction I had making it.

Greener, damned if I forgot about that Earth shift caused by the Tectonic plates between the shooter and the targer. Lot of that stuff happening lately.
Remember this old or new saying "It;s not the shooter's shooter but it is the shooter."

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:54 am

greener wrote:All others are pretty constant.
I usually score better when I shoot at a blank page
THEN draw little circles around the holes... -- toy

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 11, 2008 12:30 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
greener wrote:All others are pretty constant.
I usually score better when I shoot at a blank page
THEN draw little circles around the holes... -- toy
If you can't put the holes where the trget is, just put the target where the holes are.
When I shoot sporting clays, I always tekll the trappers that they will get a bigger tip if they can throw the targets where mys shot is, they try.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

My .02

Post by Yleefox » Sun May 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Sorry guys, but I couldn't help myself, I had to join in on this particular subject.

First, I have to comment on bearandoldman's sentiments concerning those YSRETJA folks. Of course, you see the same kind in any sport or other worthwhile endeavor, even some not so worthwhile endeavors. And like bear's companion, I prefer to compete against myself, mostly because of the YSRETJAs. but also, because, I tend to be a loner and keep to myself.

Secondly, its not really fair to blame target jump as the culprit when it come to accuracy problems. One should also consider if the planets are in the proper alignment, the moon's gravitational pull is in the right plane, and said shooter should of course, consult the Farmer's Almanac. Proper attention should be given to the direction of the earth's rotation as it relates to an imaginary line drawn from the shooter to the target. And for me at least, my ability to place the projectile into the area I wish for it to impact, depends a great deal on the last conversation I had with my spouse before leaving for the range (good or bad).

So there you have it, I believe I have properly explained all my excuses for my poor accuracy. Well, it certainly can not be my fault....hahaha

Y

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Damn, if we could only get bullets with GPS properties we could get closer. Still think we might run into a phase shot or a time warp or somthing to that effect. :roll:

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Variables of the perfect 10 [bulls on a 50" small bore]

Post by Tigerbeetle » Sun May 11, 2008 6:48 pm

You all have covered most all the bases. Can't do the GPS thing, though. Only three meters of accuracy for repeatability. Personally I find shooting to be much like the keyboard on my PC. It can't spell more than three words in a row correctly before it spells something wrong. And for some reason, my guns seem to be unable to hit more than one or two bulls in a row before there is an error in the cosmos somewhere that induces a gravitation pull on the bullett and draws it off ever so slightly (with each passing foot).

Ah the joy of the "could a been." I had a 99 going one time off hand and managed to freak out on the last shot, had it and didn't squeeze. Then tried to pull it back in w/o sitting down and thinking it over. A 97 just didn't have the same ring as a 99. The coach wasn't to pleased either.

Ah, but it was fun!
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 11, 2008 6:54 pm

I have had more than one perfect round of skeeet destroyed by the high house bird on station 1, oh, wow that is the first shot. And yes I have gone on to break a 24 with that same start at tines. Pretty shattering to the ego also when you miss the 2nd bird on low 8.