Marlin (Glenfield) Model 60 Scope

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Marlin (Glenfield) Model 60 Scope

Post by greener » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:16 pm

I just finished putting a circa 1976 Glenfield Mod 60 back together. The rifle probably hasn't had 500 rounds fired in it counting the 60 I fired today. I just completed a repair (sear and ejector-lifter springs bent beyond all recognition) that has been in the works for over a decade. It shot well, but I'd like to put a scope on it. (The $6.75 in 1976 K-Mart scope my Dad bought has a separated crosshair). Any recommendations on reasonably reliable, reasonably inexpensive scopes for this rifle?

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:03 am

I've got a Bushnell 3-9X on my '60. If yours shoots like mine you'll want at least a 4X scope cause that little rifle will reach out.
I've got a Ruger 77/22 and a Marlin 81TS and the model 60 is just about as accurate as either of those.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Marlin (Glenfield) Model 60 Scope

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:27 am

greener wrote:circa 1976 Glenfield Mod 60 back together.
I have S/N 24-******* that I "rescued" from a PawnShop-incarceration
a few months ago. It had a Tasco:4x15 "fat-pencil" on it, which was OK
for what it was... I'm now using the std-open-sights.
I have a Simmons (22Mag line) 4x32 on another rifle that is OK, up to
about 50yds... but I agree that a little more power will help, if it is
grouping well. Good-Luck with it.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Marlin (Glenfield) Model 60 Scope

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:03 am

toyfj40 wrote:
greener wrote:circa 1976 Glenfield Mod 60 back together.
I have S/N 24-******* that I "rescued" from a PawnShop-incarceration
a few months ago. It had a Tasco:4x15 "fat-pencil" on it, which was OK
for what it was... I'm now using the std-open-sights.
I have a Simmons (22Mag line) 4x32 on another rifle that is OK, up to
about 50yds... but I agree that a little more power will help, if it is
grouping well. Good-Luck with it.
Right there Tex a little extra power never hurts, that goes for scopes, guns, cars, MOTORCYCLES, trucks, boats and just about anything else you can think of.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Wow. Do you have a stand with traverse and elevation mechanisms for that Ruger?

bearandoldman

shooting for fun

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:21 pm

greener wrote:Wow. Do you have a stand with traverse and elevation mechanisms for that Ruger?

Not yet but have recently made modification to the stand you see to give it rough elevation adjustment , just squeeze the rear bag for fine adjustment. May get to try it in the next couple of days. The range I normally use does not have benches as it is a mostly pistol oriented range and just has anaboout 42 inch high, one footfront to rear shalf at each shooting station. I just C clamp my rest to that shelf. A steadier bench would really be great to shoot from but not available. Range is indoor up to 25 yards, so have no wind problems and with outomated target carriers there is no COLD range time either.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:57 am

There's lots of good scopes out there: BSA, Tasco, Simmons, Burris, Bushnell, take your pick. I like the option of the variable magnification scopes, the 3-9X probably would be something I'd look for. The fixed 4X scopes are good but having that zoom capability is just another dimension to an already good rifle. I have one of these that I bought new back in the early 70's for a crazy cheap amount from K-Mart. I was amazed how accurate it was and it still shoots as good today as it did back then. I really enjoy taking it out and plinking with it.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:55 am

Greener,

Does your Mdl 60 have the spring type ejector, or the projection on the pot metal cartridge feed? If it's the pot metal one, it won't last long if you get to shooting the rifle much.
You can update the cartridge feed and the ejector to a much better one if yours is the old style.
I had one of the old style guns and it beat the ejector to pulp in short order. Luckily the gunshop I dealt with was up on their parts info and got me the updated version. Then I shot the crap outta that little rifle till somebody stole it.

As for your scope ............ do you have a blond gal handy? :wink:
I had a Weaver el cheapo 4 power scope on mine, probably the exact same one as your K-Mart special. And the cross hairs broke. So I unscrewed the eye piece and found the cross hairs weren't too far inside the end of the tube. Wondering what to do I decided to try to replace the cross hairs. My mom was a blond. She had very fine hair. So one day a bolt of inspiration hit me. I walked up to her and said: can I have a long piece of your hair. She gave me a weird; what the heck for kinda look, and I told her I needed a piece to repair my rifle scope. She thought I was nuts. But I got the hair.
I mixed up some epoxy, no super glue then, and glued two pieces of her hair in place of the original cross hairs.

It worked. Cheap scope back in business. So all you need for the scope is a blond and some glue.

Joe

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:46 pm

Ha! A long time ago (1970s) I did a similar fix with one of those $4 rimfire scopes I bought at K-Mart for that rifle. I used a couple of hairs of copper wire from an old electrical cord and I soldered them onto the scope. Worked great. The crosshairs were a little thicker, but in low light the shiny copper color acted like a illuminated reticle.

R,
Bullseye