SAVAGE MII

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 pm

I put a pretty long post over on RFC [ http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=335908 ], but I will make a brief one here. I got a Bushnell bore sighter off e-bay and it worked great. Zeroed the CZ to an x-bull in 3 shots and 2 clicks down (1/8 in/click) and 1 click left. The new Simmons on the MKIIg took a little more work since I didn't bore sight it before I headed to the range. The MKIIg with the Simmons pro series 44 mag 6x21 44mm side parallax adjustment and 1/8 in. target turrets. Nice scope and included the sunshade.

The CZ has the Fed Int 6x24X 44 mm AO on it... Image

Both shot extremely well with all but Win HV in the silver box. Rem SS, Win SS (very good), Fed Automatch (best of all, I think), and Fed 501B lightning also did very good.
Image and finally...
Image I had a few operator error shots, but mostly, the wind started gusting when I was shooting the MKII and the target stand would wiggle. I need to get some ribbons to tie on it. Great sport! Got to try it again tomorrow. TB :D
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 am

I've decided it's time to get a .22 rifle so I can teach my grandson's (ages 11 and 13) to shoot. I also think they need to learn to shoot on a bolt action with iron sights, which eliminates the Ruger 10/22 target (which I would get If it were just for me). Once I think they know what they are doing, I'll add a scope.

I've pretty much decided on the Savage MKII, and need a little guidance on which model. Do I want the base model with wood stock, or the synthetic stock? I've seen some arguments saying the synthetic stocks have a little more flex and are not as accurate. Any truth to this?

I'm old school and like wood stocks, grips and all on blue guns, but the black synthetic does have some appeal. We will not likely be using it for any sort of competition shooting, but I do like shooting for accuracy, and need all the help I can get.

Thanks for any help.

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Oldguy, My target was (is) right below your post. I like wood better, and the MKIIg is also very inexpensive. I don't recall if the black synthetic is cheaper or not. I know the camo-synthetic is more expensive. With saying that, you probably also noticed I got the CZ 452-2E Silhouette which does have the synthetic stock. I bought it used and it was to good a deal to pass up. I probably would have preferred the 452 American, but one was not available in my price range. The CZ synthetic stock shoots very good. Reports I have seen generally only complain about flexibility of the synthetic stocks when some type of bipod is being used, or severe sling pressure or stress is placed on the stock. I don't see where normal field or target shooting techniques are going to cause flex problems. The Savage MKII Classic is a very pretty rifle, but it is also 450-500 dollars or so. More than I could afford, or I would have bought it.
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm

TB, thanks. I was looking at the MKIIG, not the classic. I think the G and the F are the same except for stock material. Time to go see if my local store has both, and then I have to make a decision.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Oldguy from Oldman, I myself prefer the wood stock and you will probably like it also. The synthetic stocks as I understand are overmolded a foam core and would not be as strong as a wood stock. Don't think you can go wrong for the price of around 200 dollars for the accuracy \you get. Here is my MarkIIGL, a lefty gun and a target of 10 shots that I shot with it yesterday afternoon, CCI Blazer ammo. at 25 yards.

Image Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Oldman, damn nice group. I was going to post on here a couple months back when we lost our old dog-a Chow/Terrier mix named Missy. She couldn't walk, was blind, deaf, had about 20% kidney function left, and some heart problems. As best as we could tell, she was about 17. We got here from the pound 16 years ago and was about 1 year old when we got her. In over 40 years of having dogs, she was far and away the best dog we ever had, or ever will have. So give Bear a hug for me.

Since the rifle is basically for my grandson's, I picked them up from school, took them to the gun shop, and said "Which one?" Bottom line is we are the owners (well, will be on April 26 after waiting 11 days to pick it up here in the People's Republic of California) of a Mark II F, the synthetic stock version. I'm sure it will be fine, and will post when I get to shoot it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Oldguy wrote:Oldman, damn nice group. I was going to post on here a couple months back when we lost our old dog-a Chow/Terrier mix named Missy. She couldn't walk, was blind, deaf, had about 20% kidney function left, and some heart problems. As best as we could tell, she was about 17. We got here from the pound 16 years ago and was about 1 year old when we got her. In over 40 years of having dogs, she was far and away the best dog we ever had, or ever will have. So give Bear a hug for me.

Since the rifle is basically for my grandson's, I picked them up from school, took them to the gun shop, and said "Which one?" Bottom line is we are the owners (well, will be on April 26 after waiting 11 days to pick it up here in the People's Republic of California) of a Mark II F, the synthetic stock version. I'm sure it will be fine, and will post when I get to shoot it.
He gets several hugs a day, but just gave him in your honor, For the price you can not beat that gun.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:17 pm

It shoots even better with SK Standard PlusImage

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Update on Grandson's and MarkII

Post by Oldguy » Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 am

Took my 2 grandson's (ages 11 and 13) out Sunday with the new Savage MarkII I let them pick out. Neither had ever shot before, so we started with the basics.

Bottom line is they had a blast, and what's even better, they were in the black at 25 yds on every shot! First couple were a little eratic (but in the black on a 6 inch target), but then they got the groove and put about 120 rounds each in the black. Both were doing 2-3 inch groups after about 20 rounds or so, which I thought was pretty good since they had never shot before and using iron sights.

The Savage is a shooter, and so are the boys. Last thing they said was "When can we shoot again?"

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 04, 2010 8:06 pm

You made memories that will last a lifetime for those boys. They'll always look back fondly on the times Grandpa took them out shooting.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat May 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Welcome Oldguy, and thank you for bringing in the two new shooters! I well remember a sunny morning, and my Grandfather taking me "hunting" when I could barely carry his old Winchester 22. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Sun May 09, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks. They called me a few days ago and want to go again.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Oldguy wrote:Thanks. They called me a few days ago and want to go again.
They now think you are the greatest grandpa around and you probably are, at least to them. I can remember many years ago with my grandson a box of Fed bulk and one of my 22/45's, he had a ball and when he qualified with the handgun in the Navy he shot Expert.