Savage MKII question

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Image Image[/
I hope someday I'll be able to shoot like the old man, but he's got years of experience on me!
H

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 pm

And getting more all the time Haka!!!!!
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:17 pm

bearandoldman wrote:And getting more all the time Haka!!!!!
Years or mileage?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 pm

BAOM, I'm going to give your pressure pad a try the next time I head out to the range with my savage....I'll post before after and work in progrees targets too...... I'll even shoot at 25yards (my groups will not be as tight as yours )

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:And getting more all the time Haka!!!!!
Years or mileage?
Both, but I may need an alignment and new shoes.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:54 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:BAOM, I'm going to give your pressure pad a try the next time I head out to the range with my savage....I'll post before after and work in progrees targets too...... I'll even shoot at 25yards (my groups will not be as tight as yours )
After all the screwing around with pressure pads in all kinds of places, the stock setup seems to work the best, Savage uses Federal Gold Medal for their accuracy testing if that is any help to you.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Shot som Federal Gold Medal in the MarkII today and I think we got a keeper now.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Bear,
It may sound silly at first, but have you tried a small bead of silicone cement (gasket type stuff, I use the blue color, but clear is OK too, and not so noticible). Put a small bead in the front tip of the fore end, and put the stock back on while it's wet, wipe off the squeeze out, and let it set overnight. You may want to use a release agent on the contact surfaces just in case you don't like the results. Not sure why it works, but it may have some effect on changing the harmonics of the barrel vibrations??

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Medicine Hat wrote:Hi Bear,
It may sound silly at first, but have you tried a small bead of silicone cement (gasket type stuff, I use the blue color, but clear is OK too, and not so noticible). Put a small bead in the front tip of the fore end, and put the stock back on while it's wet, wipe off the squeeze out, and let it set overnight. You may want to use a release agent on the contact surfaces just in case you don't like the results. Not sure why it works, but it may have some effect on changing the harmonics of the barrel vibrations??
Never thoought of that, it would be the same as using a foam pad or a piece of inner tube, it damps the oscillations of the barrel.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:44 pm

In addition, it won't fall out, but is actually pretty easy to remove if you want.
Also, put in place wet, the squeezed and dried, there is no pressure applied, just the vibration dampening.
Just my brain off-gassing a little. I have used it on a Remington 581 that I resurrected from the dusty corners of a gun shop. It was abused, but came out fine in the end, and really shoots well. Like a 3/4 inch group of 15 shots at 25 yards off sandbags, with an inexpensive Bushnell 4x fixed scope. I was happy.
I used the same silicone treatment on a several other guns too. If it didn't make noticable improvements on a couple, it at least didn't make it worse.
It really helped an old Savage Mod. 15 single shot .22 I've had for years.