BAOM vs Markie Round 5

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Bummer! you pulled out all the stops to make it shoot, but I do agree that there is no reason for us to just stick one in the safe that we take no joy in owning. If, this was a HENRY they would be wanting it back as a learning experience and to make a customer feel good about spending hard earned money on their product. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Mark II BTVLSS

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 pm

May be you should trade it towards their lefty varmint barell one...http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Mark II BTVLSS

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:10 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:May be you should trade it towards their lefty varmint barrel one...http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Been thinking of that, but if my spottier barrel auto-loaders shoot better, their sporter barrel bolt gun should outshoot an autoloader, supposedly. Even their heavy barrel varmint guns have the same chamber as tho sporrter barrels. Really not sure if I want another Savage, maybe a CZ452 or maybe another Ruger of some kind.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 pm

I wish that you had a vise that you could mount up the barreled action in out of the stock and see what it did at 25 yds as I still suspect that stock. That way just the action should be able to shoot a tiny group using the recommended ammo. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:31 pm

KAZ wrote:I wish that you had a vise that you could mount up the barreled action in out of the stock and see what it did at 25 yds as I still suspect that stock. That way just the action should be able to shoot a tiny group using the recommended ammo. Regards
I do have rubber padded vise that I could use but do not think it is worth the effort, I think it is just a poor barrel.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:25 am

baom, your diagnose sure seems accurate combined with the fact that you did try the stock every possible way. As to the barrel sporter vs varmint I believe that in center fire there is something to be gained with the thicker barrel, but in rimfire I have not found that to be the case. Even our 22RF benchrest purpose built rifles are built on the lighter barrels. The good news is that over on RFC there were two people looking for left handed MKII rifles. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 am

KAZ, I think I will take off the scope and write a letter and with that and the target and the bill of sale have my smith send it off to Savage. It has got to be that barrel doing something I now not what it is. All barrels oscillate and the secret to accuracy is to get the bullet to leave the barrel on the node of the cycle consistently. This consistency is what makes repeatable accuracy. That gun will either shoot well or go away to a new home far from me. I have given it every chance, now it is back up to the manufacturer,

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 am

I sent my MKII back to Savage to have them take a look at it almost a month ago. Have not heard from them. I wrote a 3 page letter as to what I had tried, ammunition used, and included targets. We'll see what they say. But if it doesn't shoot better, I'm with BAOM-it will be packing it's bags looking for a new home.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 am

Oldguy wrote:I sent my MKII back to Savage to have them take a look at it almost a month ago. Have not heard from them. I wrote a 3 page letter as to what I had tried, ammunition used, and included targets. We'll see what they say. But if it doesn't shoot better, I'm with BAOM-it will be packing it's bags looking for a new home.
Must be a lot of problems ahead of you, maybe I will just get rid of and save the troubles of shipping and waiting. Probably come back and shoot the same way, POORJY. Even my stock Ruger 10/22's will outshoot it and with lower coat ammo. The gun just has no repeatability, scatters them around the target wherever it pleases.
Last edited by bearandoldman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:55 am

Now, I am starting to think that there might be more to the redesign of the MKII receiver(the new rifles have the "E" receiver) than Eric (customer service at Savage) said when he told you that it was to make the barrels easier to change. That made no sense to either of us. Who wants to change barrels? If, that was our goal we would buy a rifle designed to switch barrels like the SIG Quad in the first place. Regards

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:18 pm

KAZ, isn't that what poeple buy 10/22's for so they can switch barrels easily?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:12 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:KAZ, isn't that what poeple buy 10/22's for so they can switch barrels easily?
Got a couple Ruger barrels a bull and a sporter that shoot damn near as good as my GN barrelss.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:28 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:KAZ, isn't that what poeple buy 10/22's for so they can switch barrels easily?
Got a couple Ruger barrels a bull and a sporter that shoot damn near as good as my GN barrelss.
I'd bet you've had a few that don't

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
I'd bet you've had a few that don't
Have to look at some targets from before June they were all with stock barrels.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Little Greener, actually none of my Ruger barrels shot really bad, most were acceptable but just had to try a GM barrel and they were better. Besides, I never really built a gun before, Have 2 stock Rugers a DSP and a T and 2 carbines a newer birch stock and my old 4 digit walnut stock the now have GM barrel and Revolution laminate stock, because I got bored!!!!