I think the 10/22s are breeding in the cabinet!

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

I think the 10/22s are breeding in the cabinet!

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Well, actually Xmas came early thanks to MrsBFD, I'm the proud new owner of a new Ruger 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock, Bear and OldMan led the way and I just had to follow.
I thought it was interesting to see the differing finishes, the photos are of (from top to bottom in all cases):
+ a basic 10/22 of recent production, set up with a basic sling and tech-sights
(I picked it up used but unfired, I suspect it was a Wal-Mart special before making it to a LGS)
+ an older 10/22 carbine I set up with a M1 Carbine "tribute" stock and tech-sights, plus some VQ bits here and there (you can see the bolt handle, obviously, the extractor, mag release, and bolt hold-open plate were also swapped)
+ my new Mannlicher Stock 10/22, awaiting range time and upgrades, probably a set of tech-sights and maybe I'll venture into the trigger group while I'm at it, just for an adventure

Image Image
Image Image Image

Not my best photography, and not the best lighting (the good lighting it being hogged by the Xmas tree and presents, bang-bangs have been banished from that room)

I thought it was interesting that the newest rifle is blued, while most of the "blued" models I've been seeing are more of a painted-on finish. Barring age, the Mannlicher model has the same bluing as the old one I made into a M1 carbine trainer, and a better finish on the receiver.

I should get a chance to try it out Monday or Tuesday, I think it will get the Tech-Sights off of the newer model, and that one can take a red-dot or scope as MrsBFD likes, or I'll order another set of Tech-Sights (tempting now, but I'll wait until they have the promised mini14 sights, too) and obviously I need an Exact Edge Extractor from VQ, I'll have to make up a list and check it twice, the top rifle needs some stuff as well.

On a side note, Herr Mannlicher developed a rotary magazine as well as making barrel-encasing stocks, I found that out after purchasing, but putting the Mannlicher styling on a rotary-mag rifle again can't just be amusing me, can it?
And another side note, how long until I can say "Mannlicher" without snickering? Am I pronouncing it wrong, or is it a very silly name to English-speakers?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:28 am

Yes BFD. they do have a tendency ti need friends of the same persuasion.Glad you got one, they are not that easy to find. Main reason I bought one is well, I have always wanted one and it is BLUED, SHINY, WALNUT and CHECKERED. Not a SS lover, guns should be shiny and blued. Do have 2 with that I believe Parkerized matte finish, a 10/22 DSP and my race gun Remington 597. Do like the looks of your M-! carbine, may have to do one of those also , some time in the future, Do have a couple of shiny blued barrels in reserve, may change the DSP over to make it look better. Where nd what stock and sights are on the M-1 carbine?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:01 am

bearandoldman wrote:Yes BFD. they do have a tendency ti need friends of the same persuasion.Glad you got one, they are not that easy to find. Main reason I bought one is well, I have always wanted one and it is BLUED, SHINY, WALNUT and CHECKERED. Not a SS lover, guns should be shiny and blued. Do have 2 with that I believe Parkerized matte finish, a 10/22 DSP and my race gun Remington 597. Do like the looks of your M-! carbine, may have to do one of those also , some time in the future, Do have a couple of shiny blued barrels in reserve, may change the DSP over to make it look better. Where nd what stock and sights are on the M-1 carbine?
I thought yours looked HEAVY, to be honest, B&OM, but when I saw a pair in a LGS that needed some business (he's trying to recover from the panic of '09 still) I told the Mrs that I knew what I wanted for Xmas.
It is lighter than it looks, the wood is nice, the checkering is in the right places, and the finish is a few steps up from the cheapo models.

I got the M1 carbine stock from EABCO:
http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm
and the sights from tech-sights:
http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm
and the oiler/sling from the CMP ... I use the sling but I replaced the oiler with a fragment of a bamboo chopstick, easier to get in/out and I don't really need a half-ounce oil bottle on my 10/22.
EABCO has a set of aperture sights up now, you could do one-stop shopping if you like their design.
The M1 Carbine stock isn't perfect, it is lighter-weight wood, has a screw to hold the handguard on (no receiver slot for it on a 10/22), has the sling attachment point screwed to the side of the stock, has a slightly different buttplate ... etc etc ... but I like it, and it gets mistaken for the real thing so often that I take the pair to the range, because I always get the same questions:

"Hey, is that a M1 Carbine? I got one of those issued to me and have been missing it ever since!"
So now I can respond with:
"no, that's a trainer I set up ... THIS is the real deal, want to run a mag through?"

(I lucked out and got one of the last nice Carbines from the CMP, they're out now, sadly)

The EABCO stock looked nicer before I managed to take the gun to and from the range in an unzipped case, it jumped out as I was putting it back in the trunk unfired, not a good day at all, but now I can tell myself that it looks more like an issued & abused Carbine.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks for the help BFD

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 am

I too am a fan of the M-1 Trainer. That one caught my eye right off when I looked at those pictures. My first thought was it is a perfect rifle for Appleseed shoots - an event I have been invited to speak and coach at which combines both my fondness for marksmanship and history. Appleseed Project

Congrats on the new rifle. It looks like you get plenty of enjoyment out of them.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:53 am

BFD, what a grand collection! It is good that we keep finding things to fuel our interest, and that full stock reeks class. I also like the M1 Carbine idea, and Bullseye I hope that you do the Appleseed thing. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:08 am

Now I got to find another donor gun so I can build an M-1 look alike in .22LR. Got 5 10/22's now, but it looks as if I need another one or more, to add to the pack or would that be called a flock or a herd or a gaggle?
The price on the M-1 stock is not all that bad either.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 am

Appleseed is on my list of things to do in 2011 ... where would you be running it, Bullseye? I seem to remember that you're in my neck of the woods for some reason.

And now I'll be faced with a dilemma, the M1 trainer and the stock newer model were set up as LTR's ... now I'll have to choose between the aristocratic full-length model or the beat-up almost-Carbine ... and the Mrs will have to choose as well, I bet she'll want an optic and history be damned, too.

Although starting out with the almost-Carbine and finishing the Appleseed with the real thing is very appealing, I know that the sling setup on the carbine isn't perfect for support ... more of a carry strap.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:56 am

I have expressed a desire to attend and speak at an Appleseed event but the time and place have not been firmed up at this time. My schedule is a busy one and committing an entire weekend to assist is not on the immediate horizon at this time; much to the chagrin of the good folks from the RWVA who've invited me.

Here's a link to their website http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ just in case anyone else is curious about this organization.

Here's a little explanation about the RWVA's mission http://www.appleseedinfo.org/appleseed-mission.html

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Fine looking Rugers you have there Dave. I am going to be looking for a used one next year for a build of some kind and that M-1 Trainer is looking real good. Good luck with them all. :)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:00 am

B&OM and Baldy I'd do the M1 trainer on the most beat-up, homely-looking, cheap, used, abused 10/22 carbine you can find. That stock takes a carbine barrel, not the bull barrel (which would just look weird if you got it to fit, anyway)

I've read about people with woodworking skills putting a 10/22 into a real carbine stock with some adjustments, I'm not sure what it would take or how well it would replicate the Carbine experience. The EABCO "tribute" stock is a good replica when on the shoulder, I'll post up some pics in a new thread of the real deal and trainer side-by-side, next time I have the cabinet open and a camera handy.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:40 am

bigfatdave wrote:B&OM and Baldy I'd do the M1 trainer on the most beat-up, homely-looking, cheap, used, abused 10/22 carbine you can find. That stock takes a carbine barrel, not the bull barrel (which would just look weird if you got it to fit, anyway)

I've read about people with woodworking skills putting a 10/22 into a real carbine stock with some adjustments, I'm not sure what it would take or how well it would replicate the Carbine experience. The EABCO "tribute" stock is a good replica when on the shoulder, I'll post up some pics in a new thread of the real deal and trainer side-by-side, next time I have the cabinet open and a camera handy.
That is what I am looking for BFD. As long as the receiver, bolt and trigger group are there and operable. Don't need the stock, got 2 extra carbine barrels, just need another fun shooter gun.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:25 am

A franken-gun makes an appropriate M1 cabine replica, all the originals are like that anyway!

greener

Post by greener » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:02 am

Bullseye wrote:I have expressed a desire to attend and speak at an Appleseed event but the time and place have not been firmed up at this time. My schedule is a busy one and committing an entire weekend to assist is not on the immediate horizon at this time; much to the chagrin of the good folks from the RWVA who've invited me.

Here's a link to their website http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ just in case anyone else is curious about this organization.

Here's a little explanation about the RWVA's mission http://www.appleseedinfo.org/appleseed-mission.html

R,
Bullseye
I knew you had been around for a long time and had gained a lot of experience, but Revolutionary War Veterans Association? that's a long time. :lol:

I've heard about them in passing and they seem like a darned good organization. Sounds like an honor to be asked to participate.

I was wondering what to do with my 10/22 stock and barrel. Now it looks like I need the M-1 version and I'll have two spare stocks and one spare barrel.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:22 am

Greener, you got to have extra parts laying around like I gave. Got the idea to take my old shiny blued carbine barrel and swap it into the DSP. it has one of those crappy looking matte barrels. This barrel is a known good shooter, noticed an nice symmetrical burn pattern when I was changing the front sight to my Williams Firesught setup.
BFD, what mag is that in your M-1 replica it looks like it belongs in that period?