What Next?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

What Next?

Post by greener » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Now I've got to come up with some 10/22 ideas.

I went to my favorite gun store to check out a bunch of used 10/22's they had advertised. The rifles hadn't been gone over or test fired, so we discussed them. Told them I was only interested in the action. The barrel could be tied in a bow for all I cared. They allowed as how I could buy one. While waiting for the check, I wandered over to the tackle side. Dadgum them lures are expensive.

A little rust on the barrel and the stock seemed loose.

But since I have a spare stock and barrel almost as good as new until I decide what to do next.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm

i like the greyish stock it had on it....... it might clean up nicely. happy Birthday to you! :banana:

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Great fun! Is that grey stock plastic? Of course the orginal that you happened to have is classic in a good way.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 am

Plastic stock. I'll be looking for something other than the wood stock.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:53 am

Looks like they not only have lures for fisherman but also some lures for shooting enthusiasts too. Hooked a big one they did!

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:56 am

Bullseye wrote:Looks like they not only have lures for fisherman but also some lures for shooting enthusiasts too. Hooked a big one they did!

R,
Bullseye
Yes. the did, the Greener is a prize catch you know Get yourself a nice looking wood stock of some kind. Guns are supposed to be shiny blue and have a wood stock, not all this matte black, dull stainless and plastic stocks. Shiny stainless is bad enough.
Recently swapped the matte on my DSP with a shiny blue takeoff I had and I had the matte blue barrel on my 597 Wasp polished and blued.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 am

The lures worked just like they were supposed to and caught exactly what they were supposed to. Noticed a bunch of them in the $15+ range. So, when you get one of those hung up on an underwater branch on the third time you chunk it, do you get out of the boat to retrieve it? Or just have the big sinking feeling when the line breaks?

Midway has a couple of interesting standard barrel thumbhole stocks and a bunch of black rifle stocks pretty reasonably priced. Tough decision.

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 am

hard to go wrong with something from Boyds, I'm looking at an evolution for my next build. As a plus it takes all barrel diameters in case you decide to go with a 920

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 am

So, when you get one of those hung up on an underwater branch on the third time you chunk it, do you get out of the boat to retrieve it? Or just have the big sinking feeling when the line breaks?
With all the stuff you have you do not have a Lure Retriever? My dad had one back in the 50's that he bough some where. I made one in the 70's when I was out on my own. Still have in but it's in my boat or I would post a picture of it. I made mine out of a solid 1" piece of brass 3.5-4" long, had 4 chains hanging off to hook the hooks on the lure, and a wire loop to slip the line into. It is has a loop on to to fastened some HD Nylon line to pull it out with. I would say its about 99.9% effective on get lures back.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 am

Greener, ya might look into one of the Revolution stock from Stocy' Stocks.. I got 2 of them and am well satisfied with them, they are one of the few that offers their stocks, at least most of them in a selection of colored laminates, bull or sporter barrel and right or left pawed.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

greener said:"So, when you get one of those hung up on an underwater branch on the third time you chunk it, do you get out of the boat to retrieve it? Or just have the big sinking feeling when the line breaks?"

Years(44) ago I was fishing on one of the lakes on Camp Pendleton Marine base and another Marine was fishing a few yards down from me when he caught his top water up on a overhanging tree limb on the other side of the small lake. After several attempts to get it loose he hollered a "heads up" to me and with a very nice match grade M1 he took aim and with one shot broke the limb and retrieved his lure 8) I'm sure that today the same retrieval method would result in felony charges. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:23 pm

KAZ wrote:greener said:"So, when you get one of those hung up on an underwater branch on the third time you chunk it, do you get out of the boat to retrieve it? Or just have the big sinking feeling when the line breaks?"

Years(44) ago I was fishing on one of the lakes on Camp Pendleton Marine base and another Marine was fishing a few yards down from me when he caught his top water up on a overhanging tree limb on the other side of the small lake. After several attempts to get it loose he hollered a "heads up" to me and with a very nice match grade M1 he took aim and with one shot broke the limb and retrieved his lure 8) I'm sure that today the same retrieval method would result in felony charges. Regards
I got a line caught on the other side of a creek back in the early 60's. Just before I waded the creek to get the line, one of my father's buddies pulled his .44 and cut the branch. Really old guy, probably in his early '50's, trifocals. No excuses, one hand, 20 yards, one shot.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: What Next?

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 pm

[quote="greener"]Now I've got to come up with some 10/22 ideas.

Hi, In re-looking at the pics here, I noticed that you have discovered the need for the OSB board in top of the lower tool box. I did the same thing, mostly to help support the 2 top boxes I have on mine. For what it's worth, I found some rubber ribbed (very small ribs) floor mat, and added on top of the OSB, covering the whole board, under the top boxes. Keeps them from sliding, and protects the OSB, and helps stop small parts from bouncing off to never-never land.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 pm

For what it's worth, I found some rubber ribbed (very small ribs) floor mat, and added on top of the OSB, covering the whole board, under the top boxes. Keeps them from sliding, and protects the OSB, and helps stop small parts from bouncing off to never-never land.
Good idea. Think I'll give it a try.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:46 pm

I use a rubber matt that I gotfrom the Snap On guy many years ago, when I was working.]