What Next?

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 am

Wandered through the Richmond (Raceway) gun show yesterday. I found a local guy who does 10/22 rebuilds at prices that were competitive with me doing them. His ~2# trigger groups were interesting. He had a standard barrel 10/22 with a brown Tundra stock that looked very good. Looks like the way to go.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 am

greener wrote:Wandered through the Richmond (Raceway) gun show yesterday. I found a local guy who does 10/22 rebuilds at prices that were competitive with me doing them. His ~2# trigger groups were interesting. He had a standard barrel 10/22 with a brown Tundra stock that looked very good. Looks like the way to go.
Boomer, I have a Tundra and a Trailblazer stock by Revolution. The Tundra has a blued and fluted GM .920 barrel in a Fire and Ice stock. The Trailblazer has a GM blued and fluted sporter barrel in an Americana stock. Both are LH of course so just not anyone can shoot them easily, both are 20 inch barrels. I think you shot the one in the Tundra stock? Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 am

Been looking for a Tundra stock. I haven't called the guy from the gunshow to see if he can make me a better deal than ordering on line. I did pick up a Nikon Prostaff scope at a fairly good price. So, all I need to do is get a tuit and move.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 am

greener wrote:Been looking for a Tundra stock. I haven't called the guy from the gunshow to see if he can make me a better deal than ordering on line. I did pick up a Nikon Prostaff scope at a fairly good price. So, all I need to do is get a tuit and move.
Best prices are from Stock's Stocks, lpt lower than the factory prices., $116.79 plus shipping of about 12.00 or so.

best prices are fro,

greener

Post by greener » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Didn't see that price. Did find a local dealer who was under that price. I added a sight rail and threw my carbine stock into the deal and ended up with

Revelations Tundra stock. He had a stock with a terrific finish almost temped me into getting a bull barrel.

The local guy is trying to get his business going with 10/22 mods, great triggers and other rifles. I drooled over a Savage Anschutz until it got embarrassing.

BTW: haven't fired it. Ought to find out if it shoots. I do need to lighten the trigger.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Looks good Greener, but it needs more SCOPE.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Good looking wood on that stock. :D

Let us know how it shoots.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm in the market for a personal 10/22. I just haven't found one for the right price. That one sure looks nice with that laminated tundra stock.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:36 am

Bullseye wrote:I'm in the market for a personal 10/22. I just haven't found one for the right price. That one sure looks nice with that laminated tundra stock.

R,
Bullseye
They have a red and gray stock that looks pretty good, I just like brown wood finishes.
but it needs more SCOPE.
Because I was doing the mods on a used 10/22 bought at a pretty good price and using the barrel from my other 10/22 I'm in to this one for under $250, not counting the pitifully small scope. If you do a bull barrel and stock mod starting with a new 10/22 you are going north of $400, easily.

The guy I got the stock from is selling the mods for $400-$600, depending. He is doing pretty good trigger groups from CNC parts for under $200. I'm messing around with a stone on mine. Worst that can happen is I mess it up and end up having to buy some more parts or call Leo.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 am

That grey/red laminate is called Firen'ice. That is the one I have for my GM blued/fluted 20 inch .920 barrel. The red/white/blue is called American and I have a Trailblazer with a 20 inch bled/fluted sporter GM barrel on that one. I do not buy the high dollar scope as I have had good luck with the Tasco and BSA scopes. Yes, you will go North of $400.00 if you start with a new gun. New gun, standard carbine around here goes for two C notes, can't seem to find a used one. Most used carbines go for $175.00 as I have seen and at that price, you might as well pay a little more and get a new one. I was able to sell 2 of my take off stocks on eBay recently for a very good price.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:22 pm

The $$ for 10/22's new and used seems to be pretty high. I hadn't planned to do another one, but when Green Top had a bunch of used ones for sale under $149 it looked like the the thing to do.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:01 am

greener wrote: not counting the pitifully small scope. .
I think the scope looks good, so long as it does what you need.
My 10/22 scope is as small as it gets:

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1996

That Revelations Tundra looks really good. Somehow I've never had the itch to do anything to mine beyond a "pitifully small scope" :nah: and recoil buffer. Getting the DSP version was enough upgrade for me.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am

The advantages of a BIG SCOPE are many. You do not need to use a spotting scope for on thing,. And being an old shotgunner, I used to shoot at least 10 boxes of different gage shells each week on sporting clays, and usually closer to 20 boxes. Loved shooting sporting clays and watching the targets turn to dust or pieces in the air. If I could not see the bullet hole appear in the target, rimfire rifle shooting would not be any fun at all and I would probably give it up. I do have a couple of [plinker guns with Weaver K4's but most are at least 3x9 or larger and are all one inch centerfire scopes,

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I know a large diameter is better in less light. My little Tasco is a 20mm tube. It does better than I expected in dimmer light toward dusk. A 22mm objective and 1/4" clicks, at 50 yards.The 3-7X is useful. The main surprise was, it holds zero when I remove it. The "TV" (square) view is kinda neat, too.

For my needs, and $16 on sale to boot, it's been a good scope. I bought two, and both are sighted-in. I did upgrade the cheesy phillips screws to hex head stainless ones.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Some of the smaller, less expensive scopes work pretty well. I bought a Simmons scope for less than $20 on sale at KMart. Does well on the Marlin. I can see better with the scopes I have on my 10/22's.

Of course for really long-range shots, if I could find a way to mount it. :lol: