new 10/22 (and first one for me)

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:00 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:got the new 10/22 out with federal bulk on a windy day at 50yards, all shots in a 1" group...not bad, about the same as my savage was doing and I know my savage can do better.
You need to try some more consistent ammo of a slightly lower velocity. All of the 1050fps ammo seems to shoot very good in my 10/22's. For 1050 fps CCI Subsonic, Wolf MT, SK Standard plus, slightly higher bur good also at 1070 fps CCI Standard Velocity. Faster yet CCI Blazer works pretty well also.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:20 pm

i'm sure better ammo would shoot better.... and the 20 mph gusts didn't help either
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:30 pm

You have to be very pleased with those tiny groups! These are such fantastic platforms. Mine has allowed me to change it over the years as my interest changed. It has a TacSol threaded barrel so that I can pass my Mite suppressor from my pistol for some quite shooting 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:03 am

That fluted barrel looks real nice on the rifle.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:21 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:got the new 10/22 out with federal bulk on a windy day at 50yards, all shots in a 1" group...not bad, about the same as my savage was doing and I know my savage can do better.
You need to try some more consistent ammo of a slightly lower velocity. All of the 1050fps ammo seems to shoot very good in my 10/22's. For 1050 fps CCI Subsonic, Wolf MT, SK Standard plus, slightly higher bur good also at 1070 fps CCI Standard Velocity. Faster yet CCI Blazer works pretty well also.
Agree. CCI subsonic and Wolf MT does better. My standard barrel really tightens up with the Wolf.

What kind of rest did you use?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:54 pm

I was using that aldwell bag set you got me ... works pretty good I'd like it better if it sat up a bit higher, but thats more of prefgerence thing than a knock on the bag.

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:25 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I was using that aldwell bag set you got me ... works pretty good I'd like it better if it sat up a bit higher, but hats more of prefgerence thing than a knock on the bag.
Put a spacer under it, a piece of 1x6 or 2x6. Always carry a few pieces in my range bag just for that purpose. CCI subs work almost as well as MT barely any difference other than price, about $3.50/box vs $5.00/box.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 pm

didn't see any wolf m/t at the LGS but did try Remmington target rifle (eley) 3 in 1 hole and 2 0.25" away at 50...........WOW. I guess I'll have to try cci sv and wolf next.

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:didn't see any wolf m/t at the LGS but did try Remmington target rifle (eley) 3 in 1 hole and 2 0.25" away at 50...........WOW. I guess I'll have to try cci sv and wolf next.
Try some CCI subsonics, they are a 40 grain hollow point and shoot damn near as good as the
Wolf and are usually available locally. Wolf needs to be ordered from Champion Shooter Supply or Midway.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 am

I think the standard barrel is a little more ammo sensitive than the bull barrels. When you find the right ammo, you see quite an improvement. And this was after you worked on the trigger?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:57 am

Not really worked on trigger but more smoothed out machine marks and surfaces that seemed rough where parts rub together, didn't touch the sear engagement parts. I think I'm going to find a different trigger, I don't think I like the stock plastic one.......

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 am

bgreenea3 wrote:Not really worked on trigger but more smoothed out machine marks and surfaces that seemed rough where parts rub together, didn't touch the sear engagement parts. I think I'm going to find a different trigger, I don't think I like the stock plastic one.......
Nothing wrong with the plastic trigger housings, got some of each and they all work pretty much the same. As far as ammo 1050fps stuff seems to be the best, some guns like more than one brand and others are more persnickety, This goes for other than Ruger guns also.

SteveKal

New Ruger 10/22

Post by SteveKal » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I sent my 10/22 trigger assembly to Brimestone Gunsmithing for the basic job. It came back in a week with a smooth , 2 pound pull. The cost was $35.00 plus $5.00 reurn shipping;money well spent. You can find the information on Rimfire Central.