Fun at the range

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Fun at the range

Post by Yleefox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Tuesday while at the range, I decided to shoot my .22LF CZ452 at 100yds. I don't typically shoot .22 rimfires at that distance, but I thought I'd give it a shot (pun intended). I started with CCI subsonics, because they tend to perform quite well in this gun at 50yds and less. Using a 4x Nikon rimfire scope, parallax free at 50yds, I was getting baseball sized 5 shot groups. I then switched to Wolf MT ammo. Groups dropped to roughly half the size of the CCIs. BTW, there was a light, but finicky breeze blowing diagonally across the range.

As I was rooting around in my rimfire ammo bag, I found the remainder of a box (10 rds) of Agulia Sniper Sub Sonic ammunition. These are the ones with the 60gr bullet and the very short case. I fired all ten rounds and then checked the target. As might be expected, the performance poor at best. Those ten shots covered an area roughly the size of a basketball. At least they were very quiet.

I enjoyed shooting the .22 at that distance enough, that I'm planning on doing it again next week. Think I'll try some HV rounds too.

Y

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 am

.22s at 100 yards are a real hoot. I enjoy shooting balloons and empty soda cans with pistols at that distance.

With a scoped rifle, I prefer 200-250 yards for plinking... would NEVER hunt at that distance, but I love popping balloons ;-)

.22s are awesome fun, inexpensive (relatively), and a great trainer step-up tool from an air pistol/rifle when training young ones to shoot.

With kids we rarely ever surpass 50 yards though.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:25 pm

A-H,

Yeah, I love to shoot .22s too. I don't get to shoot them at that distance here, but I still enjoy them. Now, if I lived in the wide open spaces of Arizona, I guess I'd have to see just how far away I could hit something like, say, a balloon, with a .22 rimfire.

Come to think of it, I'm going to be down on the farm in Maine here in a couple of weeks, and I do believe you have given me a fantastic thought. I appreciate that.

Patrick

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 am

No Worries Patrick ;-)

I normally zero my .22 rifles for 100 yards, so the 250 yard balloon shots were not really spectacular, but still tons of fun. Course, the 20X scope helped a bit too.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Arizona is an amazing state. Wish it was a couple of thousand miles closer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

arizona-hermit wrote:No Worries Patrick ;-)

I normally zero my .22 rifles for 100 yards, so the 250 yard balloon shots were not really spectacular, but still tons of fun. Course, the 20X scope helped a bit too.
Hermit, if you are zeroed at 100, how many clicks is it to go to 250 or do you just hold over about 6 feet?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm

bearandoldman wrote:

Hermit, if you are zeroed at 100, how many clicks is it to go to 250 or do you just hold over about 6 feet?
LOL, BAOM, I just use a bit of Kentucky windage. I never change the scope settings.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm

arizona-hermit wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:

LOL, BAOM, I just use a bit of Kentucky windage. I never change the scope settings.
According to my ballistic program, you would have to hoold over about 5-1/2 to 6 feet, most scopes will not adjust that far.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:44 pm

I use CCI Stingers in the Target model (22" barrel") and did not go more than a couple feet above the balloons.

While I used a laser range finder for checking distance, I used Kentucky windage (guesstimation) to adjust for elevation... it certainly did not look like more than 4 balloon lengths (7 " balloons) of hold over to get repeatable results.

While I would never recommend using a .22 for hunting at distances over 150 yards, I do enjoy pushing the limits on the little round.

Please accept my apologies Yleefox for hijacking your thread... was not intentional.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:45 pm

No problem AH. We're all here to share info and entertainment with one another.

Y