question on an old Remington 521t

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

question on an old Remington 521t

Post by Oldguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I recently acquired a Remington 521t that according to the stampings on the barrel, was made in November 1948. Has an old side mount Weaver G4 scope. Shoots pretty good, but fussy on ammunition.

When cleaning the old girl up, I noticed "impressions" of the fore end on the barrel. A little research revealed that Remington is one of the companies that use (or used) fore end pressure on the barrel (semi-floated) to improve accuracy. Leaving an impression of the barrel seems like more than a little pressure, but after 60+ years, who knows what could happen?

I know current thinking is free float, so the question is: Do I relieve the pressure on the fore end or not? Removing wood is a forever type thing, although I can shim it back if needed.

Thoughts, comments, observations welcome.

Thanks, Bill

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm

No reason to remove the pressure pad on the stock. How is the accuracy of the rifle now?

R,
Bullseye

Oldguy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Oldguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:08 pm

With Wolf Match ammo, it's excellent. 5 less than 1/2"", 50 yards so it's definitely a shooter. However, the Wolf is a little pricey for plinking tin cans.

It's not nearly as good with anything else (AE, Blazer, Winchester Super X, CCI mini-mag), 1 to 1 1/2 or so. Probably be good enough.

Like I said, was thinking about it. Just something I noticed and wanted a thought or two.

Thanks, Bill[/img]

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 pm

That's a classic "old girl". If you get excellent accuracy with one ammo, messing with the barrel is not likely to give improvement, IMHO, I'd leave her exactly as she is.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm

4-5 years ago, I bought a 581 Remington that was sadly abused over a lot of years. It wa UGly. It is a left hand bolt (the proper side) so I got it hoping it could be cleaned up. As it turned out, the bore and action were great. After a complete strip and reblue and filling holes in the action where someone had very badly tried to install a receiver sight, and spending several days on refurbishing some nasty abuse to the stock, when I finally got it done, I could at least take it to the range without putting a paper sack over it. Anyway, it shot patterns, rather than groups. The barrel was free floated - someone had sanded out the forearm tip. After I fixed that with a total of about 1/32 in. thickness of up perssure, it consistently now prints 5/8 in groups with almost any 'bulk' ammo, but prefers Federal. Anyway I now have a nice shooting rifle for very little $$ and lots of sweat equity.
It's a keeper. I guess you'll just have to play with it to see if forend preassure helps or not.