100 yards questions...

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

PisnNapalm

100 yards questions...

Post by PisnNapalm » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:40 pm

I recently dusted off my wife's Anschutz target rifle. I actually met her on our high school rifle team.

So long story short the rifle sat unused in the closet for over 15 years. I've recently gotten back into shooting and was going to buy myself a Savage .22lr rifle. She told me to just use her's and switch the peep sights for a scope if I wanted. Wo0t! :D

So I mounted a Bushnell scope and headed to the range yesterday. I was there for 4 hours. :wink:

Here's pic of the gun. http://www.pisnnapalm.com/pics/04-03-07_1341.jpg

I think I managed to get it sighted in pretty well. Part of my problem was that I had to use the rifle case itself to hold the rifle high enough. Sort of like a bench rest.

Here's how I did. These are just a few of what I shot. I was using Federal bulk ammo and shooting at 100 yards. I used a quarter for reference in the pic.

I want to get myself a good front bench rest. Can any of you recommend a good one that won't kill my wallet?

I also picked up some CCI Mini-Mag and Stinger and Remington Subsonic ammo. I do think part of my accuracy problems was the ammo itself. I shot competitively for 3 years. I know when I pulled one and when I didn't. A couple of the flyers confused me. There might have been a breeze down range. I dunno.

I do think that with a better rest and ammo I'll have a much tighter group.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:16 am

Sounds like it took you fifteen years to earn her trust to let you use HER rifle.
:lol:

benchrest:
I find the SandBags(tm) avail at our range to be just fine
and I don't have to tote them around...

I do have a nice-n-heavy adjustable-front-rest #16400 by San Angelo
I got it at Cabela's a year+ ago for about $40-45...
it is just like the Orange-version by "Hoppes", but is twice as heavy.

One friend at our range has to be careful with recoil on his shoulder
and spent his "christmas money" on a Lead-Sled ($150??) and
uses it for his BlackPowder 'cannon'... and he loves it...

Good luck.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:30 am

Nice looking Annie. Try some better ammo, that bulk packed stuff tends to be a little inconsistent. Try some CCI-SV or Green Tag. Wolf Match is another brand that might shoot well through that rifle.

Pictures somtimes lack perspective, it sure looks less than 100 yards from that photo. I'd of called it 25, maybe 50 max, but there's no down range reference to guage off of for an accurate call. Most outdoor smallbore shooters only shoot out to 50 yards and have lots of wind flags for monitoring the wind. Those little 40 grain bullets can really get tossed across a target at 100 yards by just a little bit of crosswind.

R,
Bullseye

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 am

I was on the end of the 100 yard range. The targets you see to the right of my bench were for the 25 yard benches.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:56 am

I use a Caldwell bag. Not very expensive, about 30 bucks, and it works well for me. I don't do much shooting at 100 yards. Like Bullseye says, mine is usually at 50 yards. Unfortunately, here in Oklahoma, the wind is pretty much always blowing! Here are some results with my CZ 452 American at 50 yards using CCI Green Tag.

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Interesting... You took that picture in the future and came back to the past to post it. :wink:

Nice group.

I think that on a good day with no wind I could have 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Is that an unreasonable goal?

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:31 pm

PisnNapalm wrote:Interesting...
You took that picture in the future and came back to the past to post it.
MM.DD.YYYY ?

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Never mind... I'm an idiot. Image

It hasn't registered that it's April yet.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:15 pm

PisnNapalm wrote:It hasn't registered that it's April yet.
Hey, "cousin"... our 'Uncle Sam' will expect you to know that in about 10 days...

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm

I spent some time on the 50 yard range this morning.

It was a little chilly and little windier than I would have liked but I was itching to do some shooting.

So I get to the state game lands range this morning around 10:45 am. I start unloading my gear and setting up to use the 50 yard target. There are a few guys there shooting. Most of them look old enough to be retired. They were just finishing setting up targets and one really old guy (he must of been 80-85) was huffing from the 100 yard walk back to his bench.

So I put on my ear protection and continue setting up the rifle, getting out the ammo, etc... I hear a couple of rifles go off. They sound like 30.06 or maybe .308 rifles. Then I heard this incredible "BOOM!" and from 6 benches away I feel a shock wave. :blink: What the hell was that!?!?!?!

So I wander down and check out what made the BOOM! At first I thought someone's got a .50 cal. Ummm... No. I would have been off by .45 cal. The old guy had a .95 caliber custom cannon!

It was like a friggin breech loader. He'd load a round into the bolt. Slide the bolt home and then tap the handle with a rubber mallet to get it fully locked. Then he'd put this large pad on his shoulder and shimmy up to the rifle as it laid on a "lead sled" type of bench rest. He'd peer through the scope and then BOOM! He nearly went flying backwards off the bench. In fact he had a piece of about 10 inch square wood post that he rested at an angle against his ass to help keep him from being thrown off the bench.

He said the rounds cost $35 each. :o Someone asked him why he shoots it. His reply was that it lets him know he's still alive. :lol:

So then everyone takes a break and I go set up my targets. We all start shooting. Wouldn't you know it... I pull the trigger on my .22 at the same time the cannon goes off! It was just like something you'd see in a comedy. LMAO! :lol: :lol:

He only fired off maybe 10 rounds. It took him a several minutes of prep and scope time between shots. Then it took him about a half an hour to break all his gear down and load it into his car. I was going to offer to help but honestly it looked like he was having fun even in the heavy work. B)

So... Here's my best targets from today. I was shooting at 50 yards using cheapo Federal bulk ammo on a gusty day. There was no way I'd hit much of anything if I'd have done 100 yards today.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Nickel sized groups derived from bulk ammo on a gusty day is doing pretty good in my book.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am

Not too shabby for a young kid. Once you get to be as old as Bear & Oldman and me, you'll be able to shoot some really small groups! :lol:

PisnNapalm

Post by PisnNapalm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:59 am

Blindpig wrote:Not too shabby for a young kid. Once you get to be as old as Bear & Oldman and me, you'll be able to shoot some really small groups! :lol:
Hehe I haven't been called a kid in a long time. :D Ok... I feel better about my shooting now. I'm expecting a Caldwell front bench rest to show up on my doorstep at any moment. I know that will hold the rifle more firmly than the little bi-pod setting on the hard plastic case.

I appreciate your feedback.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:04 pm

PisnNapalm wrote:
Blindpig wrote:Not too shabby for a young kid. Once you get to be as old as Bear & Oldman and me, you'll be able to shoot some really small groups! :lol:
Hehe I haven't been called a kid in a long time. :D Ok... I feel better about my shooting now. I'm expecting a Caldwell front bench rest to show up on my doorstep at any moment. I know that will hold the rifle more firmly than the little bi-pod setting on the hard plastic case.

I appreciate your feedback.
Yup, you are still a kid. It reqlly is a shame that youth is wasted on young people us old guys sure could use some of it, most efvery day. Actually ripsaw is a little younget thna me.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:42 pm

.95 cal. That's a one ragged hole shooter as long as the spread between rounds is almost an inch. Last thing I shot that big was towed behind a truck, had trails and took one guy for elevation and one guy for traverse.

Nice shooting, I've had times I couldn't get groups like that on calm days with Federal bulk.

it's time for us kiddies to be off to bed.