Best guns
14%
Absolutely the best guns
No votes
The only guns in the running to be the best
14%
Obviously the best guns
57%
Who is John Moses Browning? (shame on those picking this)
14%

Total votes: 7

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

New toy - Browning SA22

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:04 pm

I rarely get excited about a new gun enough to post about it.

But...
I managed to snag a nice example of the "other" semiautomatic takedown 22lr gun.
A rather nice example of a SA-22, Japanese manufactured, just the basic engraving around the border of the receiver.
The John Moses Browning design looks awfully clever, I just can't resist a JMB gun or a takedown 22.

-----

I'm packing up a range trip of all the little takedown 22s
Browning SA22
Marlin Papoose
Ruger takedown 10/22
Henry survival (AR7 clone that actually works!)

I think I can fit all that - plus targets, mags and ammo - into one large backpack.

-----

Anyone know what these little Browning guns run best on? I've got 22lr from CCI quiet up to various hypervelocity loads, I assume somewhere in between?
CCI SV?
MiniMags?
Fed550 bulk?

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I've always admired the elegant SA22 design. It sure is an attractive firearm, but I've not had a chance to handle one yet.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:27 am

Handles naturally like a 1911 or 1903 (or most JMB designs - the man understood ergonomics!)

Somehow, through voodoo or other arcane arts, feeds rounds OVER the bolt in that bitty receiver.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:17 am

The 61 Belgian (blond wood) I have is a dream to shoot. The original design required that you mount the scope to the receiver which was never accurate if the barrel lockup was not tight. The later models moved it to the barrel where it should be. I have a replacement barrel on mine for this reason only. After 40+ years I had to replace a cartridge stop to correct the feeding. This part is located on top the bolt into the receiver so if you don't tare it down from time to time it runs dry and will wear out.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:01 pm

I have am Intrarms clone of the SA22 and it is a fun shooter, mine has the cantilever scope mount on the barrel, overhanging the receiver. Only problem II eve has was loading it and having rounds hanging up on entry into the feed tube; The feed tube is completely in line with the hole in the stock. Problem was the ogive of the bullet dragging on the tue due to the waxy lube on CCI SV, switched to Mini-Mags and it runs damn near perfect, and not a bad shooter either. Mostly use it in my self sealing spinners, just having plinking fun. Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm figuring on sticking to irons, at least for now - this one is tapped for the barrel scope mount, perhaps a small optic of some kind might end up on it someday.

Thanks for the tips on the feed system, I'll avoid heavily-waxed rounds and make sure to lube up that cartridge guide.
It sounds like minimags are OK, how about Blazer or Fed bulk? Those aren't too terribly waxy, at least compared to some of the Aguila stuff I've run.

I got a look at the guide when I had the gun open yesterday - and I think it comes out by getting the zig-zag shaped spring out of the receiver top? Will anything else try to escape when I get that out?

Much as I did when I saw how the Colt 1903 comes apart, I just had to stare in awe at how the trigger pack and bolt come out of the SA-22, and I just realized that it was another tool-free operation to do a basic strip of the thing.

B&OM - I was actually looking for a Norinco/Interarms clone, but that example was long gone, and this one was there. I'll continue to keep an eye out for a clone as a beater gun, probably. The real Browning is just too pretty for regular use, I think it is the prettiest long gun I've picked up to date.

I wonder if I could get a rear aperture mounted to one of those Interarms clones? I've got a rear peep on the Ruger 10/22 takedown that works as a takedown so long as I don't adjust the barrel nut.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 am

The copper plated have nothing sticky on them, they work great so I stayed with them. The problem with them was that they were sticking in the loading port and not sliding down the tube. My LGS had a 3 Brownings, real or Jap made. Not interested on collecting and just wanted a shooter. Think I paid 250 with the K2.5 Weaver on it.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:37 am

Took all the takedown rimfires to the range, for side-by-side comparison.

Browning has the best trigger and worked with all ammo from CCI quiet to Remington yellowjacket.
Sights are workable indoors in crappy light. Would be better in daylight.
Lack of detachable mags is mildly annoying, but I have a speedloader for the Henrys that works well and happens to hold 11 rounds per tube.
Ejecting DOWN is a very nice feature.
Cycling CCI quiet (sounds like an airgun!) is a huge bonus feature.

Based on comfort and firing/cycling CCI quiet, the SA22 is my new favorite takedown.
I need to put together a lightweight sling for it and figure out how to carry that speedloader comfortably.

I should probably order a Wolff spring kit for it, I think it is going to get a lot of use for my enjoyment and training new shooters.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:08 am

If the springs are setup like mine, you will not need any. Browning uses a RS that is close to 10" long. Which is a mouse trap since it compresses into a 5" length well.

Glad yours have a good trigger. I had to clean mine up.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Very nice rifle and, it seems, a bit on the pricey side. I bet they are great shooters

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 pm

greener wrote:Very nice rifle and, it seems, a bit on the pricey side. I bet they are great shooters
Not cheap, but not unattainable

This one was $525

At least I don't have to buy mags!

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I have had several of these bottom ejecting beauties over the years, from grade I to grade III (all Brownings - no Japanese stuff) and have loved each and every one of them.

Somehow, they all got traded away or sold, but their memories will live on for a long time yet.

Easy to pack, easy to assemble/disassemble/clean, etc etc etc. They shoot great and allow fast target acquisition.

All in all a very nice lil .22
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

chuckles

Post by chuckles » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:04 am

Well I'm late to this discussion but I can't pass up a chance to rave about these fine little rimfires. I own 3 Brownings, 2 each GRVI, a GRI and a Norinco, (interarms) clone. The Brownings are much nicer finished but that Norinco shoots almost as well. The weak point on them is the barrel locking mechanism, (ask me how I know) the good part is the Browning factory barrel locking parts fit perfectly. I am seriously hooked on them to the point where obsession is a more appropriate description. For a rifle that appears to be almost childlike, these are man sized rifles in every way. I will likely end up with several more. The Grade 6s have some REALLY nice wood.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:26 am

Thanks for checking in, late is fine.

I'm still REALLY liking it, I keep the spee-d-loader set up "backwards" for the Browning now, and hand load the Henry rimfires.

Fine little rifle, I should try it out at longer ranges.

Has anyone added aperture sights to theirs?

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:10 am

The Browning SA .22 is still on my list, I have never owned one but intend to. Beautiful rifles.