All done!

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

All done!

Post by jjfunk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Finished her up about a month ago, and the weather finally wasn't enough of a deterrent to getting out and trying her out.

Shot some bulk, and then tried out some Wolf Match. It LIKES the Wolf Match.

Now I need to figure out what to make next. Any ideas?
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:58 am

That is one beautiful looking and shooting rifle!

R,
Bullseye

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 am

jjfunk,
That looks as sweet as it shoots! Doncha love it when that happens?

Nice job!

What else can you tell us about it?

SD

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 pm

It's been a long road, but I think that I remember everything.

It started out as a "Wally World Special" - for those of you wondering that is a Ruger 10/22 that was only sold at Wal-Marts, and was different because of the silver powdercoated receiver, and the 22" sporter barrel. Bought it specifically for this builld, and ended up only keeping the receiver and the trigger assembly frame. The original barrel and all of the internals got gutted and put away, never been fired.

Got the extended magazine release, the bolt handle, and the trigger from "Skeeter" off of E-Bay (back when they werent a bunch of Nazi's). Around the same time ordered a Power Custom hammer, and adjustable sear package. Also went ahead and put in the PC spring kit and bushing kits. The "Skeeter" full width trigger required the trigger guard window to be filed out, as it is wider than the factory trigger, but after doing this, it has ZERO side to side slop. Put in the new hammer, and sear with the bushing kits, didin't like the action so tore it all apart again and proceeded to polish all the bearing surfaces of everything, and while in there I also modified my factory bolt release to allow for "slingshoting" the bolt. Faced the bolt flat, and radiused the rear of the bolt. I haven't tried "pinning" the firing pin yet, and don't know if it is really necessary. Put it all together along with a new bolt buffer, and had a local machine shop machine me a new "V-Block" out of T-5 hardened steel, as I never have trusted the factory cast V-Blocks.

Mounted up a BC 20" .920 bull barrel with Bentz chamber and target crown, got a 6-24x42 scope for it and ended up with this:

Then the search for a stock started. As I already had a multi-colored action built up, I decided to start looking for something to match up with it. I decided upon a Boyd's "Blaster" style stock, and ended up with this one, the "Royal Jacaranda". I learned a lot about laminate stocks along the way, as I originally hated this color scheme, until I saw a few different ones, and realized that it fit my color choices quite well. Got a stainless allen head take down screw, and started working the stock. I bedded the action, pillared the take down screw, and cleaned up the barrel channel a small amount to fully float the barrel. After that it was time to bring it all together. Talk about cringing when I put the action to the stock for final fitment. Bolted it all together with 28 ft/lbs on the v-block, and 18 ft/lbs on the takedown screw.
I think that it turned out pretty nice, and it shoots very well. Now I am toying with the idea of building an ultra-lightweight Hybrid style gun. I will let you know how that turns out.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks for the rundown,jj! The skeeter stuff looks good. I like the Power Custom Hammers and opt for them over the VQ.
I agree on the pinning...I think it's more hip hype than anything else.
Did you face your bolt or farm it out?
I haven't tried the steel V-bolts yet but am considering it. Is it the one by(Joe) "Gunsmither" ? Did it need tweaking to install?

The stock appears to be a Boyd's Blaster in RJ?

Again, nice shooter!

SD

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:14 pm

I faced the bolt myself. Was a bit nervous about it to tell you the truth, but it wasn"t that bad. Took my time, and used an ink pad to help me find the high points, then worked them down using a jig and a fine file. Polished it all up after I got done and it feels/looks great. The V-Block was done by a local machine shop here in El Paso, just located down the road from my office. Charged me $10, and made one for himself using my factory original as a template. Yes, it's a Boyd's blaster in RJ, but after looking at several of them, I finally found one that I liked, they really do vary quite a bit even with the same color schemes from one to another.

Thanks!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 am

Well, Song Dawg has quite the 10-22 collection. I found this while cruzing on Rugerforum.net. http://rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3093 Nice collection SD!

R,
Bullseye

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:01 am

SD's obession! :twisted: :lol: Thanks Bullseye!
I've got a feeling that this MKII-MKIII stuff is going to overtake my 1022 illness. I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I'll post my 1022's in a new thread!

SD

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:08 am

They will grow on you SD, no reason why you can't be obsessed with both.

R,
Bullseye