First ever rebuild project

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cm6259

First ever rebuild project

Post by cm6259 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 pm

My first ever custom build project. Thought I'd share :-)

I started this project after seeing some really cool 10/22 replacement barrels and laminate stocks at a local gun show, and after seeing some stuff in the Cabelas catalog. I got this bug in my ear about the idea of building my own tack-driver-really-cool-looking .22lr rifle based on the 10/22 platform. The bug refused to shut up. :-) I started the project before I found this forum (due to some 'difficulty' reassembling my MKIII. Thx, Bullseye!). I am now aware that there are MANY options for doing this stuff of which I was previously unaware. I think I've built a pretty good rifle, but after viewing the rifles and shot group photos in this forum, (can you really call it a 'group' when there is only one hole?) I can only say I am humbled. (HUMBLED!)

Anyway, I'd like to share with the community my progress so far and ask some questions.

Here it is:

I bought a gently used 10/22 with the understanding that it would most likely be the cheapest component of this project.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Cabaleas laminate stock/barrel combo w/Green Mountain stainless fluted bull barrel.
- Power Custom hammer/sear/bushing/shim kit
- VQ extended mag release and auto bolt release
- Weaver base
- Warne 'high' rings
- Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50 side focus scope
- Sling bases, etc.

I initially had a problem with the scope zero shifting every time I took it out to shoot. This resulted in my over-torquing and stripping some of the holes in the receiver (oops, my bad). A scope mount screw kit and a tap & die kit from Brownell's fixed this. Instead of the original 6-48 screws that shallowly seated in the receiver, I now have 8-40 screws that go most of the way through.

I haven't shot it using sandbags. Shooting from my backyard range, resting it on my forearm, I am getting approx. 1" groups at 100 yds. using Federal Champion (the stuff in the blue box).

And now, some questions, in no particular order:

- Does anyone know how to get/make some sandbags for cheap?

- I have not yet replaced the Ruger trigger. I looked at the one VQ offers. Quite frankly, I think its ugly compared to some I've seen here. Any suggestions?

- I have not replaced or altered the Ruger bolt assembly or handle. Ideas?

- After the screw-stripping incident (even though it was my fault) I am somewhat unimpressed by the aluminum Ruger receiver. I am looking at the VQ stainless replacement. Does anyone have any experience with this, or alternate possibilities?

Thanks,

Chris

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Empty shot bags from shotgun reloading make convenient, and cheap sandbags that hold up for a long time. If you aren't a shotgun reloader ask about empty bags at your range or local shotgun club.

I personally love my "Skeeter" trigger. It requires some work to the trigger assembly to install. Not a really big deal, just needs the trigger "window" (hole that the trigger goes through) enlarged. Feels good, and looks very sharp too.

CPC is reputed to be one of the best bolt re-workers out there. I also beleive that Skeeter does good work on the bolts. Having the bolt face re-milled to more precise diminisions makes the repeatability of precise shots a little better. Also while the bolt is out, re-radiusing the rear of it is a good idea, and helps the action cycle more smoothly.

I am using an aftermarket Skeeter bolt handle, which is a nice alternative to pinning the firing pin, as it fits so well that the firing pin is efectively trapped without having to pin it. For more information about pinning the receiver try a quick look around at Rimfirecentral.com. Also while there if you check out the sponser page they have a link to "Hawktech Arms" (I think that is the name of it) where the Skeeter parts are available from.

And by the way, that is one sharp looking rifle that you have built there. I hope you enjoy shooting it as much as you did building it. For super tight groups in my built up 10/22, I use Wolf MT (3~4 bucks per 50). With that ammo my MOA groups quickly become much smaller, and I have even produced several SUB-SUB MOA groups. Best of luck to you with your groups. (And watch out, over here we like to "spiff" up more than just our 10/22's)
Last edited by jjfunk on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:42 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

That is a really nice looking rifle you put together there. Looks like a lot of care went into assembling all those parts into that fine firearm. You're in good company here - lots of 10/22 enthusiasts here. I'm sure Song Dawg may chime in with some suggestions, he's got a pretty good collection going on 10/22s.

Looks like fun, I may have to build one of these for myself.

R,
Bullseye

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm chiming! :) Welcome to the forum, cm6259! Congratulations on your great looking/shooting build.
Caution:
After several builds of my own I can tell you as with most things there is a point of diminishing returns. The key is to be able to identify that point PRIOR to unnecessary additional expenditures.
"Nice looking build" + "one hole groups" = "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" :D

That said, there are inexpensive amenities which can enhance the operation of the gun without much cost.
A "swap out" of stock Ruger charging handle for a Ruger magnum handle.... under $15.00
Auto bolt release which I can show you how to create without cost.
A bolt buffer which may be the most over hyped "essential" ever for a 1022. You can create your own for pennies....and yes it will last longer than you.
A stock trigger works and looks great especially with an overtravel set screw installed. Not a difficult upgrade and darn near free.
There's plenty of free fun projects.

Bullseye...what's taking you so long? :)

SD

neophyte

Post by neophyte » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:32 pm

cm6259: Sir mighty fine specimen you got there.
Do some more pictures :D

Craig
Craig

By the standards of most

cm6259

Post by cm6259 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:02 am

I'll respond in the order the comments were posted.

jjfunk - believe it or not, I have never belonged to a local range or shotgun club. I do have a couple shotguns, but have never really gotten into it. Is there some more generic item I can fill with sand other than shot bags?

Bullseye - thank you! nice to be here!

Song Dawg - I can swap the original charging handle for a Ruger 10/22 Magnum handle? What will this get me? Do tell... I've already bought the auto bolt release. Too late for the 'no cost' option. I AM interested in making a bolt buffer. Care to share? I am also interested in the over travel set screw idea. I don't have access to machine tools. I have a drill press equipped with a cross-travel vise, a set of GOOD drill bits in 1/64" increments, and a set of gunsmithing taps with the really fine threads. Do you think I can pull this off with these tools, and if so, how would I go about it?

Craig/Neophyte - here are some more photos as requested :-)

overall view from the front:

Not a lot of clearance for the front scope bell:

The Warne 'high' rings provide just enough clearance. Weaver brand 'high' rings do not. They are only good for scopes with up to 42mm objectives:

The side parallax adjustment on the Nikon scope is handy, but really not critial:

Detail shot of the extended mag release and bolt release:

This stock has a long reach between the thumb hole and the trigger. It's perfect for me with my big hands (I'm a pretty big guy, I wear XL gloves), but it would be unsuitable for someone with less reach. My Dad can't shoot it using the thumb hole.

Enjoy!

-Chris

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:47 am

chris,
Use the mag handle ONLY NOT the mag rod. You can remove the handle from a mag rod assembly by placing it in a vise and compressing the "keeper" on the rod which retains the handle. Do the same with your stocker and swap 'em. Then re-peen the rod to retain the new handle. It's really easier than my explanation. :oops:
It gets you a larger handle which is easier to find/operate. Not a cure for cancer but it's an improvement over the orig. Ruger has the mag handle/rod assembly for around $12.00. Before you swap the handle out consider chucking the handless rod in a drill and lettin' 'er rip with a little polish.
You can take it progressively from "rough" to "clean", to "shiny", and finally "just beyond baby's butt" in no time.

You can make a suitable bolt buffer from 1/4"OD gas line. Buy a couple of feet of the stuff for next to nothing and make your 1022 friends happy! :D
Some push a finishing nail into the tube/ line ......some don't.

As to trigger overtravel it too can be accomplished with the tools you've mentioned, specifically a drill press and vise.
Here's what I use:
A #33 drill bit, and a 6-40 tap and a 6-40 set screw (5/16th long?)

Let me know if ya get sidways on any of this.

SD

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:38 am

Song Dawg,

If you want to post a few "10-22 How-To's" In the technical forum I'll make them stickies. That "Make your own auto bolt release," instructions would make a fine addition to that forum. I like that "Make your own bolt buffer" idea too.

If you are short on picture hosting web space, I could help there with this site's server. Just shoot the pics you want via email and I'll throw them up on the server. I'm thinking something like a step-by-step similar to my Ruger auto pistol directions. The sounds like your fellow members here would love it.
Bullseye...what's taking you so long?
I have an over full safe now, really I don't know where I'd put another one. I didn't see a use for the 10-22 bug but I'm beginning to get the urge to do a little experimenting. They seem like nice rifles but the aluminum receiver never seemed to sit well with me. Fortunately as time goes on, we change our thought patterns and gradually accept new ideas. You guys have really shown me that these rifles might be something to look into but my Annie's not going to be happy with another .22 rifle or two in the safe. Whenever I wanted to shoot the .22 semi-auto rifle I just broke out my faithful Marlin Model 60 that I bought new in the early seventies - Man that rifle can shoot!

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:01 am

My son love's the 10/22 I modified for him, they truly are great rifles. Oh and the bolt buffer tube really works, have had one in mine for several years and it reduces the clank sound quite abit, so you know that it works.

Very nice looking rifle you got there!

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Bullseye,
As much help as I've received here I'd be happy to reciprocate.
I'm in full grampa mode today but will get to it ASAP.

I've come to believe it's almost unAmerican not to have a 1022 in one's "arsenal" What a great American success story with that rotary mag. Simple, dependable, affordable and just plain fun!
I'm proud to say I'm responsible for countless "converts" to shooting via the 1022. They never had a chance!

Equal time:
The most accurate gun I've ever shot out of the box is my son's Marlin 60.
However, I've found the stock screw torque is critical to accuracy.

SD