Need advice on first .22 rifle.

Discuss .22 Rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Blindpig,
I'm in step 10 of the 3 step program. :twisted: :lol: I'm told diversions like the MKII or MKIII can temporarily help in cases of acute tentwentytwoitis. So far it seems to be helping. However late at night I can hear those guys locked in the safe pleading to be outed.
So many 1022's...... so little time!

GUNS4ME, I personally have never expereinced any problems with Breakfree CLP. I use it and CorrosionX with great results. I am however particularly careful with my gunstock finishes when using any gun solvent/lube products.
If you continue to be concerned try a dry lube spray. There are several available including "Elmer's Dry Slide" which is excellent. Ace Hardware has it or Liquid Wrench's version at Lowe's.

SD

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Song Dawg, I don't think there's any real cure for .22itis. I have known people who have contracted black rifle disease in addition to the .22 disorder and it's just terrible to see! I even have a touch of both myself with no hope for relief. It's gotten so bad, I'm even considering buying a .22 upper for my S&W MP15 in order to indulge both addictions at the same time!

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Blindpig,
The first step is admitting the problem! The second is never fixing it! :lol:

SD
Last edited by Song Dawg on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Song Dawg wrote:Blindpig,
The first step is admitted the problem! The second is never fixing it! :lol:

SD
Amen, brother. There's just no sense in giving up a good bad habit!

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 pm

No wonder I keep coming back to GunTalk--- I just luv these free-for-alls!.... Hee hee hee...
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

markIIIronp

Buy a Ruger 10/22

Post by markIIIronp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:46 pm

Buy a Ruger 10/22 target rifle with a heavy barrel. I purchased my first .22 about a year ago. I bought a Savage Shark Mako with the accu trigger. It is a bolt action with a heavy barrel. I shot paper target last winter, indoors at 75 feet. Last summer I shot outdoors at sillouettes. Chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams from 40 meter up to 100meters. Used a 6-24 power scope. Had a blast. My buddy bought a 10/22 at the same time. He has many more options with his Ruger than I do with my Savage. After market parts for the Ruger are in great supply. I got a fancy looking synthetic stock that has shark teeth cut outs and really looks cool. My buddy got a basic looking stock that was much easier to shoot in other positions, such a prone and even bench rest. His gun is much better all around and when he gets on target he can get of multiple shots because he doesn't have to reload the chamber with a bolt action. He outshoots me every time.

Blindpig

Re: Buy a Ruger 10/22

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:12 pm

markIIIronp wrote:Buy a Ruger 10/22 target rifle with a heavy barrel. I purchased my first .22 about a year ago. I bought a Savage Shark Mako with the accu trigger. It is a bolt action with a heavy barrel. I shot paper target last winter, indoors at 75 feet. Last summer I shot outdoors at sillouettes. Chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams from 40 meter up to 100meters. Used a 6-24 power scope. Had a blast. My buddy bought a 10/22 at the same time. He has many more options with his Ruger than I do with my Savage. After market parts for the Ruger are in great supply. I got a fancy looking synthetic stock that has shark teeth cut outs and really looks cool. My buddy got a basic looking stock that was much easier to shoot in other positions, such a prone and even bench rest. His gun is much better all around and when he gets on target he can get of multiple shots because he doesn't have to reload the chamber with a bolt action. He outshoots me every time.
You shoot animals?? :shock: My goodness, I certainly hope the folks at PETA don't find out about this!

Song Dawg
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Song Dawg » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:21 pm

Mark,
There's a steel cut out of a peta person here to see you!

SD