I'm building an indoor .22 (.38 sp?) range

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 am

Does it have a ring to it with the flat back?
If it does, I can't hear it.....ear muffs and the loud boom. There is a 2"x3" rectangular tube post running clear up the backside that stop vibrations.

The casters (2) have brakes, though not visible in the pictures.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 am

Jack
You have the shop and the skills to build a snail trap. I know, I have been there with doors. Then you could shoot anything you want.
Look here
http://www.snailtraps.com/gunsmith.php
Jack

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Hardball wrote:Jack
You have the shop and the skills to build a snail trap. I know, I have been there with doors. Then you could shoot anything you want.
Look here
http://www.snailtraps.com/gunsmith.php
Jack
Thanks, Jack. I looked at those, but was looking for a simpler, less expensive, way. Watching 'cowboy shooting' on TV, I noticed that the dust was kicking up directly under the steel plate targets and that meant they were splattering on contact. I know that they are using soft lead, but wondered if harder lead would do the same. Experimenting, I found that it does.

This trap was up and running in a matter of a couple of hours....is easily moved around so it doesn't interfere with my other pursuits.

I just completed the course for my HCL and the instructors reccommended lots of practice at 21' with the carry HG. I was pleased to find that the plate works very well with 9mm and .357 mag. My little S&W .38 special will get lots of work as will my .22/45. So far, no holes in my shop walls. By the way, there is a dirt bank outside the shop behind the trap, should there be a miss. Worst that can happen is a hole in the shop wall (no wiring in the wall either).
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Jack
I have seen the splatter in the dust too. Notice that the plate/dingers usually are suspended from a hook affair on the backside to let the plate give a little on the impact.

Some of the target plate makers have really scienced it out to determine best alloy and even the angle of departure for the splatter off the plate. I have seen old tires positioned around a dinger to contain the splatter.

Down in SoCal years ago we used the former Santiago Range. They had a 500 yard dinger up on the hill to shoot. That was fun. Bang. Wait. Ding.
Jack

gcp
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by gcp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Jack D, GREAT WORK!

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Jack D wrote:
By the way, there is a dirt bank outside the shop behind the trap, should there be a miss. Worst that can happen is a hole in the shop wall (no wiring in the wall either).
I was just getting ready to ask about that. Is there anything to restrict access to the area immediately behind that shop wall while you are shooting? Just in case....
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:20 am

bebloomster wrote:
Jack D wrote:
By the way, there is a dirt bank outside the shop behind the trap, should there be a miss. Worst that can happen is a hole in the shop wall (no wiring in the wall either).
I was just getting ready to ask about that. Is there anything to restrict access to the area immediately behind that shop wall while you are shooting? Just in case....
Not much chance of anyone getting between the bank and the shop wall. Only a few feet between and it's steep and it's mine.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Update!

Post by Jack D » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Several thousand rounds have been fired at this trap now....from ranges of 10' to 40' with .22LR, .38 spcl +P, .357 mag, 9mm. No damage to the trap with the exception of 5 minor dents, probably from the .357 mag....although many, many more than five rounds of .357 have been fired at it. No misses yet either. My shop is still pristine. :)
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Good to hear it has held up good and working for you. One day I may have to build one.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Hopefully you won't find any small caliber wall vent holes in the future. Looks like your design really worked out for a portable shooting bullet trap stand.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Cleaned out the bullet trap today for the first time. Over 50# of lead and copper. Not a single hole in the shop wall....yet. :D

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:38 pm

That is a nice bucket of lead. Glad to hear your trap is really working out for you. You did describe some specific circumstances that led to your creation of this bullet trap.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:09 am

That good, Your trap is working good. Now the time to start casting and do the complete recycle thing.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911