Hoppe's No. 9 composition

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Hoppe's No. 9 composition

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 pm

I just got the Ransom "Master Mat" ( http://www.ransomrest.com/mastermat.html ). The instructions note that the mat should not be exposed to solvents containing Acetone or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) as these chemicals will cause the mat to erode.

The only solvent I use to clean firearms is Hoppe's #9. The only ingredient listed on the Hoppe's #9 bottle is kerosene, and I could not find anymore information about the product on the Hoppe's website.

My question is does anyone know if Hoppe's #9 contains acetone or MEK?

Thanks.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 pm

There MSDS sheets for #9 does not list the names of all the solvents, trade secret. Acetone and MEK are used to dissolve plastic. #9 will dissolve plastic, so my guess it does contain the solvents in small amounts. Red's solvent was made to match Hoppe's #9 and it does contain these. But you can make up your own cleaner with out these solvents.

http://hazard.com/msds/gn.cgi?query=Hoppe&start=0
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, blue. I think basically all gun powders contain polyester, which is a plastic. So it seems logical that #9 would contain acetone or MEK.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 pm

It says in their ad that it is virtually unaffected by most gun cleaners. Hoppes #9 is probably the most used cleaner of them all. Why not ask Randsom if they've had any problems reported from folks using their mat and Hoppes?

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Bullseye wrote: Why not ask Randsom if they've had any problems reported from folks using their mat and Hoppes?

R,
Bullseye
Good idea :lol:

The fella at Ransom said that there have been no complaints regarding their mat and the use Hoppe's solvent. He also said that his mat was purchased from Ransom prior to his employment there and that he has used that mat with #9 for 15 years and no problems.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 pm

I kind of figured that. You can't get a better testimonial on their mat and Hoppes than that one. Enjoy!

R,
Bullseye