MKII drop-free mag mods!

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MKII drop-free mag mods!

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:54 am

My local shooting club has added a course of fire for this year that requires a mag change on-the-clock, so ...

1st Mod: Used a small half-round file to create rounded "notch" on the front of my Ranch Products extended mag release to match the rounded "bump" on the back of the mags. Slide a mag into/out of the gripframe and you'll see/feel this issue clearly. The modified release still holds the mag base securely but eliminates almost all of the drag when ejecting the mag.

2nd Mod: Dremmeled out the ridges inside the base, especially the rear, of my Volquartsen urethane grip to provide more finger room to release the mag and then get fingers out of the way of the falling mag. Also relieved the V grip inside on both sides of the mag base when seated.

Both mods helped significantly. Are there any other tips that I might try?

Thanks in advance.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:18 am

Those are both good modifications for your particular situation. Ensuring that your VQ grip screws are not too long and interfere with the magazine's travel would be another thing I wold check. Sometimes they can be tightened too far and the screws will extend into the mag well and snag the magazine body.

R,
Bullseye

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 am

Roger, Bullseye.

I alternate the V grip for Clark grips depending upon the week's competition schedule but haven't paid enough attention to the potential snag of the different grip screws. However, I'll now add that to the preflight checklist. Thanks.

As usual, attention to fundamentals = rewards!

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:52 pm

VQ has a magazine ejector gadget, but a wise man confirmed my suspicion that it wasn't needed a while back.
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/87 ... uger-mkiii

How about adding weight to the magazine bases?

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks, bigfatdave. That Volquartsen gizmo is for a MKIII that still has the mag disconnect installed. Fortunately the MKII doesn't have the disconnect feature.

Adding weight? Perhaps a help but would require something really heavy/ugly sticking out of the end of the gun hanging onto the end of the mag. I still have a modicum of modesty remaining!