S&W Model 41 safety lever

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

S&W Model 41 safety lever

Post by Tony S45 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:09 pm

I want a Model 41 but hate the tiny safety lever on these guns.

S&W now has a larger safety lever on their new Model 41 guns produced in the last few years but it's still quite small. Has anyone found a supplier that has made a large paddle type safety lever for the 41?

I did a few "searches" on this and other Forums and so far have come up empty.

Seems strange to me that this gun has been around for 50 years and there are very limited aftermarket parts available for it. Other than bullseye, the weekly competitions at my local range require drawing from a holster and the tiny safety will put me at a distinct disadvantage.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:38 am

I have not seen any replacement safety levers for the M-41 with a larger thumb switch. The 41 was not intended as a holster gun but more as a target gun therefore the safety switch is very small. The only option would be to custom fit a larger thumb pad onto a existing safety switch.

R,
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 pm

I don't know if this is still true, but at one time there were .22LR combat matches, and modified S&W model 41's were quite popular for that purpose.

I owned a model 41 at that time, and concluded that the only hope would be for me ( or a gunsmith ) to weld a small extension on the original part, then polish and reblue it.

I ended up trading off the gun before I had a chance to do it though.

Look for somebody who can do fine work with a TIG welder. After that, it's just a matter of filing, shaping and polishing - then a blue job.