mil-spec springfield upgrade

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

mil-spec springfield upgrade

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 pm

I fially decided to put a new barell bushing on my springfield mil-spec 1911 45acp. previously I had put a solid trigger with overtravel stop (c&s) , an extended thumb (swenson I think), and houge wraparound grips. I ordered a national match "semi drop in" bushing from midway on thursday and it came to my door this afternoon. I took some measurements with my calipers and found the ne bushing to be just a tad bigger outside and smaller inside than the stock one.

It fit nicely on the barrell, snug but not too tight. and fit snugly in the slide. just tight enough to turn without a bushing wrench. I oiled it up and tested the slide. it moved without binding, and noticeably tighter.

took it to the range and ran a couple magazines through to check for function and accuracy. function was good and the gun grouped tighter than it ever has.

Image the first 16 rounds at 25 yards from sandbags. (don't mind the little holes I was zeroing a red dot on a .223)

I then went over to a shorter range and a nice gentleman let me put holes in his 5 yard target the first 7 rounds made a 3/4" hole the next 7 rounds went in the same 3/4" hole with one flier an inch high......I think the accuracy was greatly improved.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 pm

A regular barrel with a properly fit bushing can do wonders for an old pistol.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 am

I've only had it a few years but the bushing was not as tight as it could have been...... its much more better now

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:25 am

Those Springfield Mil-Spec receivers and slides are solid performers. I've built a bunch of match pistols off of those two parts. They hold a rail tune very well.

Is that an extended thumb safety you put on there or is it an ambi safety?

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:04 am

just an extended safety... It's been a great pistol, tied for my favorite shooter with my MKII target

-John Wayne