Adding weight

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Adding weight

Post by mark II » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Started shooting again and can't seem to get my trigger up to the 2lbs I need. I have a 22/45. Only a couple of things I can think of to add weight to the trigger. One is the mainspring which is new and I even streched it a little. Two is I bent the sear spring, I bent the little arm that sits on the back of the sear. I bent that towards the back of the gun to put more preasure on the sear. Am I missing something else?
I like my ruger but have had problems with it, which I could afford a 41.
Mark II

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

They (VQ/Wolf) makes an extra power main spring. Also the trigger plunger spring can add a little just depend on how far your off.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Yes, the factory trigger plunger spring can add 4-6 ounces to the trigger pull weight, assuming you replaced the OEM one with one from VQ when you changed out the trigger.

R,
Bullseye

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Still having a hard time getting the trigger up to 2lbs. It would be nice to have a sear spring in a heavier gauge. I think I polished to many things, pins, holes, surfaces. Like I mentioned I streched out a new main spring a little, don't think that made any difference. I got a heavier spring at the hardware store for the plunger, but that didn't feel good. So far I bent the sear spring towards the rear to get some more weight. Any more ideas? I like the idea of using a heavier sear spring.
Thanks,
Doug

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:58 am

Tell me what aftermarket parts are currently in your pistol. I want to get a good mental picture of the pistols configuration status before making any other suggestions.

R,
Bullseye

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 am

Hi, I have a clark trigger, an V disconnector, V sear and hammer. When I go back to stock parts the weight is still low. I don't have the stock hammer anymore. Cleaned the top of the sear with a hard stone but didn't change the angle, just polished it up a little.
Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:48 am

Well that killed that idea, my suggestion was going to be to place the OEM hammer back into the pistol along with the VQ sear. How much light (under 2lbs) are you? Are you using a set of NRA sanctioned Conventional Pistol calibrated trigger weights for this measurement? Did you put in the VQ sear spring when you installed the sear? If so, do you still have the OEM sear spring?

R,
Bullseye

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm

At the club we have NRA weights and I will check the trigger this week. I have so many springs I couldn't tell you which one is in there now. Like I said I'll check it out this week and let you know what it weights.
Thanks,
Mark II

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:11 pm

If you can pull a dollar bill out from under the weights without the hammer falling your trigger is good at two pounds.

R,
Bullseye