Range time at last, tested Bobcat mods, Federal bulk works!

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Range time at last, tested Bobcat mods, Federal bulk works!

Post by ruger22 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Finally got to my range Saturday, first since November (I think, it's been s-o-o-o long).

To refresh, I shortened my Beretta Bobcat (.22) hammer springs by 2 coils to hopefully end the need for hyper ammo. And I lowered the front edge of my mags to be even with the follower, to stop feed jams where the cartridge is standing straight up between the slide and barrel.

I was mostly successful. The Bobcats now run Federal bulk great. Out of 700 rounds, I had 3 FTE, and two stovepipe jams. No fails to fire, which I was expecting with a lighter hammer strike. FWIW, the first four mags through each Bobcat (64 rounds) went without a hiccup.

I still have one old gripe, which is Beretta engineered and I doubt solvable. The supposedly seven round magazine design doesn't feed as well as I would like. With Federal or CCI (Mini Mags and Velocitor) four rounds in the mag works fine.

With five, the first round of CCI rubs the chamber enough to get a small flat spot on the side. With 6 in the mag, it's worse. Seven, the chamber scrapes enough lead to make a ridge. Federal doesn't rub until six rounds are loaded. Being more pointed gives Federal more clearance to feed at an angle.

So I'll stick with six Federal in the mag for CCW, until I find a better "pointy" round.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols