Couple questions from a newbie

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Couple questions from a newbie

Post by Biggjimm » Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 am

This is my first post on this forum but I have been reading a lot of good info on here the last couple of days. But there were a couple of comments that I did not quite understand. One of those comments is regarding the mag safety. Ive read a couple posts regarding removal of the mag safety in the mark lll 22/45's that said it lightened the trigger pull on thier guns & I was wondering if that is true & if so how does it change the trigger pull? I thought the most it might do is take some of the side to side slop out of the hammer??? Also on a side note I have a 10/22 that I've been doing some mods to lately & I've been reading about changing the bolt buffer to a plastic or nylon one & was wondering what is the benifit of changing it out. Thanks.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 21, 2012 6:53 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online.com Biggjimm!

To answer your question I cannot see how folks can claim a perceived improvement in the trigger pull unless the remedy they're using also improves the pull by replacing the trigger, hammer, or sear. If one just removes the magazine safety hook it wouldn't do it on its own. In some cases a new Mark II style hammer bushing may provide some benefit to the trigger feel but that would depend on the fit of the new bushing in the hammer. One thing is certain removing the mag safety makes magazines go in and out with ease, plus eliminates the need for insertion and removal of a magazine to drop the hammer during disassembly.

Changing a 10/22 bolt buffer over to a nylon one quiets down the action considerably. Other than that there's not very much mechanical advantage to the change.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:58 am

Biggjimm Welcome to GTO

It's been so long since I removed the mag safety from my MKIII. It does make the disassembly and assembly of the pistol easier with the mag safety gone. Mag's dropping clean is just a bonus. I do know that you can lighten the trigger up and remove some of the creap. But that's more to do about aftermarket parts and trigger plunger spring.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am

:welcome :welcome

I agree with all of the above.

Taking the mag safety out of my Target model didn't lighten my pull, just makes easier takedown and those nice dropping mags!

For the 10/22, get some 1/4 X 3 1/2 nylon bolts at the hardware. That gives you plenty of smooth shoulder to make a buffer. Hacksaw and a file, less than ten minutes. I've got about 1000 rounds on my first one, still looks like new. You could make a dozen for what most places price one.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon May 21, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm planning in getting at least a sear for my 22/45 & doing the pre travel set screw mod & the mag safety removal mod here before too much longer. When I read in those posts that removing the mag safety lessened the trigger pull, I couldn't see how that was possible. I thought maybe I was missing something so I asked. So far I have put a red dot & a tac sol comp on my 22/45 & I couldn't find any grips locally for it so I bought a hogue wrap around with the finger grooves for a 1911 & I trimmed a little off the front corner to fit the bolt release & they fit great. A whole lot more comfortable than the stock ones even though they were the nice rubber ones. The hogue grips make it about 3/16 wider in the grip so it fits my hand better. I haven't had my daughter shoot it yet to see how it fits her hand. I really like this gun (and my daughter does too) it is a very good shooting & extremely accurate & a blast to shoot. So much so that I'm thinking about picking up a stainless one for myself since I really got this one for my daughter. She wants to start shooting competitively as soon as I find some info on some competitions around here. Thanks for the answers & advice. Im sure I'll have some more questions before too long. I really enjoy this site & while I don't know who all is involved in running this other than Bullseye, you are doing a great job. This is by far the most friendly & helpful site Ive been on. Keep up the good work. Be safe & shoot straight. Biggjimm

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Bullseye is the ringleader here. He gets a little help from some of the others..... :roll:

Your post implies that you have the replaceable panel model 22/45. Much better than the early ones where you had no easy way to change them. I'm sure somebody makes standard grips for the 1911 in pink and other colors, if your daughter would be into that kind of look. I'll bet she could be sure it would help keep Dad's paws off of her gun!
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 21, 2012 7:17 pm

The other folks are being generous with their comments, they all make significant contributions. I just try to fill in with some of my experience where I can.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Mon May 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Ruger22
Shhhh. Don't give her any ideas. Oh wait a minute, too late. Yeah I have the replaceable grip model & she has already mentioned that about the pink grips. Also, she wants me to build her an AR in .223 & she wants me to do some pink powdercoating on it. So if she keeps her grades up & her nose clean I'll be building a pink AR before too long. My buddy owns one of the local gun stores & he has a pink annodized .38 spcl with pearl grips & she gets it out & looks at it every time I take her in there. So one way or another ill have atleast one pink one in the safe before long. But that's ok I'm just glad she enjoys shooting with me. It gives me a little more time to hang out with her before she's off to college & it gives me some peace of mind that she knows how to handle a firearm properly & she can take care of herself when ol'dads not with her.