Bullseye is the BEST - Mag Safety Removal

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

redmond

Bullseye is the BEST - Mag Safety Removal

Post by redmond » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 pm

I received my new bushing today and installed it. Thanks to Bullseye's great info pages it worked out just fine. No Mag safety, mags shoot out when the release is pressed.

Suggestions to other thumb-fingered 'gunsmiths' like me:

Don't drop the frame while in the middle of disassembly. Parts fall out and hide - look under the table. A magnet will help.

As Bullseye suggests, try not to let the hammer pivot pin come all the way out. The thumb safety is also on the pivot pin and holds the sear and spring in place. If it comes out, you will learn much more about the internal workings of the 22/45 than you intended. See also above RE: dropping the frame during disassembly. :oops:

The pin that holds the sear is easy to dislodge while trying to catch the frame on the way to the floor. Make sure it is connected to both sides before reassembly.

Again, Bullseye's instructions saved the day. :D

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Us experts can drop the grip frame and have all the parts end up where they are supposed to go. It takes a lot of repetitions before you get the knack. :lol:

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 am

Us experts? ........ :lol:

Yep, practice makes perfect.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

3strokes

Post by 3strokes » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

greener wrote:Us experts can drop the grip frame and have all the parts end up where they are supposed to go. It takes a lot of repetitions before you get the knack. :lol:
I have been watching Youtube videos and Bullseye's instructions (Posts and the 22/45 "manual" by Bullseye.) I have just received my upgrade parts from VQ.

However I'm posting to say that I cringe every time I see in a Video, the presenter say they are doing something with something to something, with their hands and gun out of the screen, then they turn the gun upside down ands shake it and 67 small parts come tumbling down. Of course, he (the presenter) knows which is which, having done it 5,000 times in the past year, but to us, all three pins, for example, sear, hammer and trigger are almost identical. Add to that the fact that the sear spring looks different from video to video and we have to practically have four laptops running different Youtube movies.
Member NRA, CSSA and NFA (the last two in Canada).

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Coach1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 pm

.. and +1

I think I have seen that "... and then magic happens" Mark 3 You Tune video.
The guy's knuckles look like he is a martial arts expert as well as a p*ss poor
video instructor. I gave up after watching it in Stop-motion and used
Bullseye's masterful guide to get my Mark III upgraded the way I like it.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I got the field strip down pat cussing the owners manual and repitition, then I found Bullseye's instructions. I did detail strips using his instructions, which made it easy. I didn't see the videos until after a few detail strips. I much prefer the step-by-step instructions on this site.

The key is to just take your time and follow the instructions. Ruger's videos aren't bad and the Brownell (? Midway?) video is pretty good.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 am

I'm like Greener in the fact I prefer still pictures like BE Guides are. And that you can click on the thumbnail and get an enlarged photo for seeing all of the finer detail. I have never like videos because your always stopping them and backing them up to play again.

I did the dump the guts on a friends gun and he just cringed when he saw all the parts come out. Then after cleaning I assembled the gun and he said that didn't look too bad. Then I commented that I had done it few times before and the first ones was step by step looking at a guide. He asked for the guide so I gave him the link to BE service pages. Now he can do it by himself.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911