.22 lr to .22WMR in a revolver

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

.22 lr to .22WMR in a revolver

Post by Jack D » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Here's one I've never heard discussed before.

Most (not all) .22 lr revolvers have 8-10 chambers. Assuming the cylinder is long enough and strong enough, can one ream, say 3-4 of those chambers out to .22 WMR?

This would give you the best of two .22 worlds. .22lr for plinking, practice, etc. and .22 WMR for SD and larger pests. For SD you would line up the cylinder to fire the WMR first and have the lr's for backup. For plinking, practice, just load the lr's and leave the WMR empty. For trail work, load up a couple of shot shells, lr's and WMR's for a do everything sidearm.

Just wondering!!!
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm not sure that having a gun that takes one type of ammo and another entirely different type of ammo at the same time is a good idea. I surely wouldn't buy such a weapon used or new.

There are lighter 22wmr loads and some real screamers (well, by comparison) in 22lr ... AND there are. 22wmr revolvers with a 22lr conversion cylinder. (And it HAS to be wmr-->lr conversion ... because of length and rim size)

You can likely accomplish the variable load concept within either rimfire "family" or use a conversion type ... although I'm not a fan of having more than one ammo type in a gun at a time.

Example: 22wmr wheelgun loaded with wasp-shot*, then Win Dynapoint**, then the new Gold Dot*** or Crit Defense*** loads
Example: 22lr revolver loaded with CCI SGB/Velocitor¥, then minimags¥¥, then CB shorts¥¥¥

* worthless stuff, those rimfire shotshells ... I did testing on water filled baggies and it was a waste of time
** I seem to remember these were mild, overlapping with 22lr weight&velocity
*** both of which are formulated for handgun and pretty spiffy performers in my testing

¥ Hot hunting loads ... or substitute Aguilia (sp?) They make some pretty hot stuff, I don't remember all the trade names, but some loads overlap into 22wmr territory
¥¥ the standard 22lr round, as I see it
¥¥¥ just as an example of powderpuff loads

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Similar guns are a S&W that takes .410, 45 Colt and .45acp in a mix or match system. Then there's The Judge. The .22 lr/WMR would be different in that the WMR chambers would be WMR chambers only and lr chambers lr chambers only.

Not sure about modern .22 shot shells, but as a kid, many blue jays fell to the old metallic (crimped) shot shells we used to protect the cherry orchard. Of course that was from a rifle.

Not something I would do, for sure. Just something that crossed my mind and got me wondering. It is something I would think about buying if it were available, just for the versatility. Resale would be the last thing I'd think about, but might regret later.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I believe the bore diameters are different for WMR and LLR but no sure. Think the WMR is a few thou larger. What would happen with the LR in the WMR cylinder, would it fire and split the case? In my personal .22, even WMR is too small for s?D. I use a 380ACP as a backup, but prefer .45ACP as my primary. But due to old age now I carry a S&W J frame on .38 +P, which should be adequate if the need arises.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 am

bigfatdave wrote: (And it HAS to be wmr-->lr conversion ... because of length and rim size)
You make a good point. Most people think of the convertible Single-Six as a .22LR that converts to .22WMR, but it's the other way around.

If I remember right, the WMR needs a .224 bore, and LR is .222. Only two thousandths, but important.

I suppose a half WMR gun would work, with the right bore and enough cylinder wall, but kind of confusing. I'd prefer a second cylinder or a second complete gun.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:54 am

Someone could, unknowingly, load lr in the WMR chambers, causing split cases and blow back. Probably not a good idea on several levels.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Jack D wrote:Someone could, unknowingly, load lr in the WMR chambers, causing split cases and blow back. Probably not a good idea on several levels.
That is what I was thinking, could be hazardous to your health and eyesight.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 pm

I alternate #4 buck and slugs in my 12ga Mossberg cruiser.

That's been my standard home defense and travel load-out for many years.

First shot is buck.

On a .357 magnum, you might want to start off with a 125 grain HP, followed up by 158 or 180 grain truncated cones, FMJ. - All hot.

The concept will only go so far, though... With an autoloader the energy levels on the loads all need to be pretty close to each other, but not so with other action types.