Handicap modifications

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Handicap modifications

Post by ruger22 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I had a bus customer last week with malformed hands, I would guess from birth. This guy was in his twenties, very sad to consider. None of his fingers went beyond the joint where a ring would go, and I think he had one complete thumb. He inserted and retrieved his farecard from the slot pretty easily, though.

Made me curious as to how likely it would be that a handgun or rifle could be modified to suit someone like this, if they were determined to be a shooter? I never had thought about it before.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Most handicap persons learn to use what they have very well. I would guess he would hold the gun with one hand and use the other to pull the trigger. Recoil may be a problem depending on caliber/gun. You would be amazed at what some can do with the little they have.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Many persons with disabilities have adapted to their situation naturally especially if they've had the issues since birth. Each person has their own circumstances and mechanically we can provide assistance but it is on a case by case basis.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

handicaps

Post by stork » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 am

My Uncle, who farmed about 5 miles from us, had lost part of his thumb and the first three fingers of his right hand while attempting to clear a jammed corn picker. Made it though Germany in WWII without a scratch but get him back on the farm and stuff happens.

I never saw him attempt to shoot a pistol, but he was hell on wheels with a rifle. He just adapted and used his pinky as his trigger finger. He's long passed on so I feel safe in telling about him head shooting Pheasants for supper year round, this was many decades ago and he's been passed on for nearly 20 years.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington