SS 1911 Custom Build

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 pm

What an unfortunate set of events. Have you sent that picture with the pitting on the breech face to Caspian?

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 am

The primers didn't feel different when you seated them?

You didn't mention the primer manufacturer.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:26 pm

The primers were WW, I have been using them for 2-3 yr now without any problems, same lot. The odd part is >95% of the failure where with RP brass. Which cuts their primer pockets a little different than the rest, more bevel. I looked at the primers and the caps flowed into the bevel area. Then burned through the thinned area, gas cutting the breach face. I have not contacted Caspian, but WW is going to cover all my cost to rebuild the upper end. Not sure what Caspian can do, was not a problem that they caused. I do expect the same quality slide from them, same specs. I will provide my original order number to them so hopefully I get one with the same spec so I still have my tight tolerance.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:03 pm

That is to bad that had to happen. I look at that pistol and all the time you put into it and I consider it a piece of art.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:42 pm

MarkII, thanks for the kind words. I has been a fun project and glad I took it on.

I have received a settlement so I will be ordering a new slide in the next few weeks. Since I will end up with a spare upper assembly I may set this one up with the dot sight and FO sights on the new slide.

A good note is that I was about to send it in to get the sight dovetails cut in the slide when this happened. So I did not have that expense. So I will do the sight work my self and order the new slide with them all ready cut since I know what I want now.

I have over 1100 rounds through it now, love to shoot this gun. :D :D

The gun has loosened up as expected from the tight lockup. Now the only resistance is the last 1/4". Super smooth. I have the trigger like I like it now, 3lbs 6oz. Ejection is into a nice group pile, 3' back 6' to the side. The only thing I need to do is move the feed ramp forward on the barrel. I know when I built it it was way to far back. The frame and barrel ramp flowed into one, no step. Easy fix when I get home to where my tools are at.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 pm

I ordered the replacement slide last week. Caspian is running about 8wk on delivery right now. Ordered the c-more STS should be here later this week or first part of next week. Will be nice to have a sight on this gun to really check the accuracy out.
David

Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:22 pm

I wanted to be able to mount iron sights, so I machined a Novak rear cut. Then used a dovetail blank and spacer to mount the c-more. This is just temporary, for I find it a little different racking the slide now. I will order some 17-4 and make a 1 pc base with a cocking lever on the left side. This will make it easier to operate the slide. This sight makes it easy to shoot out the BE with my aging eyes. Gun operated 100% with std springs so the the added weight did not slow the slide down too much.

I did machine me a 1pc mount for the cmore out of some 17-7PH. Which gives it a cleaner mount.

edit: to correct the over size photo. I have these resized when I up load them and some times it misses one. I normally check this but missed it this time.
Last edited by blue68f100 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David

Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:25 pm

That's looking nice blue.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

30lpi Hand Checkering

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Well I took the plunge and decided to hand checker the forehand grip at 30 lpi. I did a practice run on some 3/4" Al bar before doing this. I machined be a small jig to help keep the file straight. The hardest part is actually doing horizontal lines since the file wants to fall into the vertical serrations. Grabs it big time. All in all it took me about 8hr to do. It's not perfect but came out pretty good.

David

Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Checkering looks good to me. Sure is a fine looking weapon.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks Charles.

I need to re-bead blast the area under the trigger guard. I ended up with a few scratches that I had to clean up. But figured I will do that when I do the new slide coming.

This gun has become my favorite gun to shoot. Checking the grips just makes if more comfortable in the hand.
David

Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 am

Here are some final pictures of my gun. This thing is fun to shoot.

David

Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Missed this. Very nice work, David.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 pm

Been working on the upper to replace the one that got damaged by bad primers. I used a Kart barrel this time, a lot easier to fit than the KKM. Did not take me near as long to fit since I have done this before. I actually have a little tighter fit than the first one.

Will be using a Bomar adj sight on this one. Then make a base for the c-more so I can swap sights or uppers, if I want to. Waiting for the dovetail cutters to come in. Beveled the bottom edge of the slide, will do the nose once the polish work is done. That way if I have any corners that are rolled I can remove with the bevel. So far I have kept everything flat and true.

I have tested fired 200 rounds through it and every thing functioned good. Sent the upper off to get the barrel flush cut and slide engraved with my special initials that I used in the late 70's and early 80's when I was making custom knives.

Started the polishing on the slide. Knowing I will not try to keep this high finish. The SS used is so soft it scratches very easily. Just want it for the photo session. :wink:

Will blend the rear once I have a min of 500 rounds though it. This way I will know it will not shift later on.
David

Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:57 pm

gorgeous