Ruger Vaquero problems

The place to discuss firearms related modifications or home made shooting equipment.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Chopperdoc

Ruger Vaquero problems

Post by Chopperdoc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:16 pm

I took my new (24 rounds fired) New Vaquero apart to replace the factory hammer with a new Super Blackhawk hammer. I also replaced the factory springs with a set from Wolf.

I also removed the set screw to allow the cylinder to free spin with the loading gate open.

During reassembly several times I pinched the pawl plunger spring in between the grip frame and main frame mangling it pretty badly After trying several times to bend it straight I managed to get it in but it was still all buggered up. I am sure there is restricted movement of the pawl plunger.

When I finally got it all back together the cylinder now free spins with the gate closed.

I have replacement springs inbound from Midway but I am wondering if this caused the problem or if I messed something else up in addition to mangling the spring.

Thanks in advance for any light you all might be able to shed.

Uncle TK

New Vaquaro VZ Original (Old Model)

Post by Uncle TK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 pm

The New Vaquaro indexes to line up with the loading gate old model did not and installing the Free Spin Pawl let them spin backwards.

On the old model the Pawl has to be modified to do the free spin.

Go to Cowboys Acting Web sites for advise
http://www.sassnet.com